Narrowed Online Keg Sites To 3... But Who To Order From?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who is the best?

• Beverage Elements

• Keggle Brewing

• Keg Connection

Results are only viewable after voting.

JasonOdd

Reaction score
I cut out the redundant info and copied 3 different web-store's info on their 5gal ball locks. I also included their after shipping price on 4 kegs from each site to get the total cost. Below the cost I have included what I see as the pros and cons of each deal. All of the sites list their kegs as in-stock.

Who would you go with?

Bvrgelements.com​
Ball lock class 1
(Since they had little info on their site as to what a "Class 1 Keg" was I copied it from their eBay ad)
Premium condition and fewer dents and scratches than other kegs.
Cleaned & sanitized
De-labeled
Pressure Tested
Used but minimal dents & scratches
O-rings, valves & other parts are replaced on an as needed basis.

4 Used Dual Handle Keg; CK1-CL1U Total: $181.36

Pros: Lowest prices. Supposedly a nicer looking keg. De-labeled, cleaned AND sanitized!
Cons: Forum member indicated they charged his credit card a $1 after the sale for no reason. Impossible to contact (I sent an eBay message, email and called.. never heard back).

Kegglebrewing.com​
Re-conditioned 5 Gallon Ball Lock Keg.
Disassembled, then kegs and components have been cleaned in PBW.
Kegs are then reassembled with new o-rings on both dip tubes, lid and new o-rings on the poppets.
Keg may have labels and stickers on the outside.
Keg is pressure-tested.

Re-conditioned 5 Gallon Ball Lock Keg Part Number KEG5U4 Total $210.06
Pros: Completely disassembled to clean the keg. Able to contact them via email first try.. on a Sunday!
Cons: No indication on keg condition (dents, loose handles?). Forum members have seen them ship slowly. Highest price.

Kegconnections.com​
Standard reconditioned 5 gallon ball lock keg.
Keg has been cleaned and soaked in a hot "Straight-A" cleaning solution, re-rinsed, lubed and re-pressurized to check the seals.
Kegs are in good shape, but could have small dings, dents or scratches, many have stickers on the outside.
Free oring set in addition to orings that come on keg.

4 KG101 5 gallon, ball lock Total: $207.75
Pros: Free oring sets. Well cleaned. Can order more with no increase in shipping.
Cons: Expensive per keg price (they sell their "Standard" grade for $50 a keg when most charge $35!).

Thanks For Your Input!​
:mug:

There are more people that sells kegs online.. but the 3 listed are the 3 that had the best perceived bang for the buck out of about 12 that still had kegs.

If anyone knows where else I should buy I would be very interested. I only used 4 kegs as an example to keep prices fair between the sites, I actually need 10..

check cornykeg.com for damaged handle. They are out of stock right now, but I am waiting to get some from there. I think they usually get about 10 in when they do (havent called, could be way off) but they are $14 each with about $70 shipping total to me. Its an idea if you can wait a little longer. If you have already seen it, then ignore me, lol

I can deal with small dents, dings, scratches and loose handles.. however broken handles I can't fix and I have yet to see a replacement handle for sale (money to made there).

to each his own, i can deal with broken handle because I am looking to save money on kegging equip and can use a strap, lol

x7 for KegConnection. Though I never ordered through them when I live in San Diego (moved prior to being able to order), their customer service (via email) was extremely helpful in pointing out exactly what I needed and even stayed within the budget I quoted.

I've only ordered from KegConnection and my local store. My local store had no idea what they were doing. The KegConnection rep seemed to know his stuff. Everything arrived as advertised. Getting ready to order another keg from them in a few weeks.

Cornykeg.com for the win!

The damaged handles aren't broken, rather they are "rough" and discolored. They still support the keg just fine. Granted, they are pin locks, but for $10 more ($24 per keg) you can get the ball lock conversion posts (new SS posts with new universal poppets). Well worth the money.

Cornykeg.com for the win!

The damaged handles aren't broken, rather they are "rough" and discolored. They still support the keg just fine. Granted, they are pin locks, but for $10 more ($24 per keg) you can get the ball lock conversion posts (new SS posts with new universal poppets). Well worth the money.

Unless they started making pin locks a 1/2 inch skinnier, they wont fit in my kegzer.

I have only dealt with kegconnections of the three, but he is great. Very nice, and fast shipping, kit as described.

+1 on Keg Connection. I have placed 2 orders with them and they ship very fast and are very easy to get a hold of. I had an issue with one of the posts on the keg and Todd sent me out a new one free of charge. Great customer service!

+1 on kegconnection.com. That's where I got my first setup (2ball locks, 5# co2, & regulator). Plus extra regulators and such too.

I've been fortunate to buy 12 ball locks for $30/piece from craigslist. They are in pristine condition.

Well Keg Connections is overwhelmingly the the "people's choice" it's seems. I just ordered 10 of their kegs at $507.45 (*cough*). Here's hoping their are as nice as they say!

I will add photo's of the in's and out's of each keg and let you all know how it all turns out.

Thanks again for the input!

I'm anxious to see how they turn out. I'm done with trying to find the cheapest. I've got a cheap one that I've added $20 worth of parts that still leaks around the base of the gas in post.

I got my stuff from kegconnection and the service was good and everything came as described. Cornys are getting a little more scarce due to soda in a bag so prices and availability are going to be an issue. That being said kegconnection also sends the stuff assembled which is nice, I've never had a leak so another plus. Good luck I think you be so happy kegging that either of the 3 will be fine

Well the 10 kegs shipped yesterday!

It only took Keg Connections 2 business days to get them cleaned and wrapped up and shipped off, not to shabby. I can imagine that a 10 keg order is a bit of a PITA, it would take a day just to clean and test 10 kegs.

UPS appears to be taking the scenic route and the weekends off with a 7 total day shipment, arriving on the 17th in 4 different packages.

In total from the day I ordered them to the day I should get them, it will be 10 days. Exactly what I expected.

Here's hoping their not all banged up and ugly, I'll keep you posted. :mug:

I've bought 4 kegs from adventures in homebrewing. I get the ones that are $9.99 for a keg with a damaged handle, and 14.95 for a new lid. So, for less than $25, I have a decent keg. No problems so far <knock on wood> with pressure or leaks. I need 2 more to complete my work of art...uh, keezer.

http://www.homebrewing.org/5-gallon-corny-keg-with-loose-handle_p_2133.html

That $9.95 keg turns into a $41.59 keg once you add in shipping and a lid. $41.59 for a loose handled, dirty keg that you may have to rebuild (costs about $20 more) is a total ripoff. For an extra $9.16 you can get what I bought, a cleaned, tested, strong handled keg with an extra set of O-rings and a satisfaction guarantee. Well worth the cost IMO.

If you want the same keg that Keg Connections is selling for $50, but from Adventures in Hombrewing, it's going to cost you $70 plus shipping ($16.61 vs Keg Connections $7.95).

A.I.H. said:
could ship low profile or regular ball lock, depending on what we have currently
Worst of all, they can't even guarantee that you will get a normal ball-lock keg for your $86.61 price.

Sometimes a "great" deal is just a marketing ploy.

My LHBS ships them, it seems. He was selling them for $30 a piece a month or two ago I think? $40 now it seems unless you get bundle discounts.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=8869571&cat=&lpid=&search=keg

The mountain of kegs in the picture is only part. He has multiple mountains of kegs, and a building full of them. If ordering from him (Art), I would ask for new o-rings too.

My LHBS ships them, it seems. He was selling them for $30 a piece a month or two ago I think? $40 now it seems unless you get bundle discounts.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=8869571&cat=&lpid=&search=keg

The mountain of kegs in the picture is only part. He has multiple mountains of kegs, and a building full of them. If ordering from him (Art), I would ask for new o-rings too.

ksl.com said:
These are used and sold as is. We do not guarantee that (they) do not need parts.
Shipping will be regular ups charges plus $2 handling charge on each keg

It's about $16 to ship a keg to me so that's $18 a keg he wants for shipping, using his $37.50 a keg (if you buy 12) that's $55.50 a keg for an un-tested, dirty keg that I may have to rebuild.

If you look at what shipping cost Keg Connections and subtract that from the per keg price I ended up with on 10.. I bought a nice, well cleaned, inspected and tested guaranteed to work and hold pressure for about $38.80 a keg. My (sold out) LHBS in the area were selling them for $50, and craigslist had none.

The only place I found (after a month of looking) that (might) have a better deal was Beverage Elements... But I never heard back from them, and Keg Connections so far has a 20 to 0 lead on the poll over them.

I used Keg Connection and they were great. The keg they shipped had an issue and after a quick contact to customer support they shipped me replacement parts at no charge.

They arrived!
I've a bit of a long week and I am tired, but I will give more details and pics of the kegs as promised!

One of the kegs was very nice so I decided to see how nice it could be...

I think it looks good...:D

+1 kegconnection

good service, good people. based on referrals from this site, I placed my 1st keg order with them and kept going back. if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I just ordered 4 of the ball lock converted tanks @ $35.00 each plus with flat rate shipping it is tough to beat. I also ordered the disconnects and party dispensers. I now will have everything I need to keg!

I just picked up 4 ball lock kegs for $15 each from some guy here in town. He got like 2000 of them from pepsi like ten years ago. He only has like 200 left. I am thinking about buying 20-30 of them and seeing what the shipping would be and selling them for $25 + shipping. Would anyone be interested? They all need new o-rings. But my four all hold pressure.

I just picked up 4 ball lock kegs for $15 each from some guy here in town. He got like 2000 of them from pepsi like ten years ago. He only has like 200 left. I am thinking about buying 20-30 of them and seeing what the shipping would be and selling them for $25 + shipping. Would anyone be interested? They all need new o-rings. But my four all hold pressure.

I'd probably be interested.

For now 5 would be plenty. That would give me 9. I would need to buy another freezer to keep full ones as back stock. I guess that's a good problem to have. I'll PM you my zip so you can give me a shipping quote.

I have a kegging system on the way from kegconnection. Should be here Thursday. They were quick to ship. We'll see how everything turns out.

I cannot wait to keg my first batch that is fermenting right now. One big bottle instead of 50, what a relief.

Back