Name that Infection Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FnBeerTime

Reaction score
Hey guys, I think i'm infected! I left my brew in the primary for about 3 weeks and it had some white scum kind of looking stuff that went to the bottom when I shook it. After I transferred to secondary I saw it sitting on the yeast cake looking like filmy yeast. Now in the secondary I have a white film covering the beer. I've attached a pic. I also shook this and it separated into white bits and floated down but a day later there's a film again. Some details on the beer:

FestaBrew Wheat kit. In primary approx. 3 weeks, in seconday 3 days. I was confident in my sanitation but I guess you never know. The beer smells good just don't like the look of this growth!!!

What is it?! And more importantly, can I drink it?

IMG_1262.jpg

No bueno amigo. May turn into a nice sour in time. Many folks here may tell you to keep and and see what happens. I'd say start planning for your next batch.

You can drink it, nothing harmful grows in beer.
You may not want to drink it, though.
Sanitation is key. Can't tell from the picture, but most common spoilers produce a pellicle like that. It could always turn into something good, but might take a year to do so.
If you decide to keep it separate all the gear from your other beers to reduce likelihood of infecting other batches.

Looks infucted for sure! I'd let it ride for a few months. Tis a bummer. Those festa kits are kinda expensive :(

Agree that it doesn't look right. The "white film" infection is a relatively common one, but I've had a few beers that looked a little off and were fine. I'd take a sample and taste it. Won't hurt you. If you don't mind, post back to let us know what it tastes like!

I agree with liquidchemistry. Sometimes you get infections that take awhile to express themselves in the flavor, so you can actually drink them before they turn bad. Do you bottle or keg?

Yep, infected pretty good. Won't hurt you, unless you bottle and they splode, which is a real concern.

I'd dump and erase from my mind. I've had a couple of infected batches, and let them ride in the fermentor, kegged, tried to drink. The whole thing leaves you feeling a little crappy about brewing. Best to cut your losses right now. Life's short!

Hey guys, I think i'm infected!

"Infect" means to be affected by a disease causing organism. As a living organism, you can be infected, but your beer -- which is nonliving and can't contract a disease -- can't. A better way to phrase it is, "my beer is contaminated."
I know that the use of the word "infected" is almost universal among homebrewers, but "contaminated" really is a much better choice. (I also know that some dictionaries now confuse the two words.)

What is it?! And more importantly, can I drink it?

It's impossible to tell from a picture. The fact that it's on top of the beer suggests an aerobic contaminant, such as Acetobacter. If it smells like vinegar, that's likely it. It won't hurt to drink, but may not be pleasant.
Some yeast strains behave really weirdly under some circumstances, too. If the beer smells and tastes good, maybe it's just a weird yeast film.

Chris Colby

Looks like flor yeast to me, not lacto (granted lacto and acetobacter go hand in hand with flor), especially when you said it sunk when shaken. IME lacto is a thin film that stay on top. Flor yeast is used to make sherry, created nutty flavors from aldehydes. No fear drinking any of it.

Back