One food you have never had... but are curious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always wondered about century eggs...

One of my coworkers brought one in for me. They taste better than they smell.

Being from Canada...

Softshell blue crab

And chicken and ****ing waffles!

I had a first on Thursday. Frogs legs in black bean sauce at a thai restaurant.

I wasnt expecting to like them as much as I did. I suppose you could say they taste like chicken... but like the moistest tastiest chicken youve ever had...

CreamyGoodness said:

I wasnt expecting to like them as much as I did. I suppose you could say they taste like chicken... but like the moistest tastiest chicken youve ever had...

Great!!!!! I find them to be a pleasant medium between chicken and fish. Hmmm, swimming chickens, that sounds good. getting close to lunchtime I guess..

CreamyGoodness said:

When I was a kid, my parents would take me and my cousins (about a dozen people total) out frog hunting, armed with flashlights and gigs. We'd bring home several burlap sacks and have a big frog BBQ at my grandma's house. The webbed feet get all crispy like potato chips.

I've only had wild frogs legs, they're not bad, but tend to taste a lot like the pond water they live in. A bit of garlic & butter or seasoned salt does wonders.
FYI: I've still got a few gigs in the shed. ;Regards, GF.

The US could curb a lot of it's animal overpopulation and supply N. Korea with much-needed food. It's a win-win except for the dogs and cats, of course...

Poutine

!fries.jpg

can i mention one food that i am hugely curious about but never under any circumstances ever wish to encounter?
hákarl- the infamous icelandic rotten shark. or the related swedish fermented herring surströmming. apparently among the worst smells ever encountered by our timid species...
wikipedia can tell you more, especially the shark preparation method. err.. yum?

Vegemite can't find anywhere. Aussie help?

Also those of you arming yourselves with coon lights and frog gigs in the warming summer months in search for froggy beware of golf courses that use dangerous amounts of fertilizers that run off in there frog filled ponds do not consume!

bleme said:
I was confused too. Petit Dejeuner is French for breakfast.

Sorry, quebecois humor. Kinda like cold pizza for breakfast. A rich bowl can run up to 1000 calories. I was playing on the translation, dejeuner is lunch so literally breakfast is little lunch, kinda like breakfast of champions when you crack a beer in the morning ;)

Vegemite can't find anywhere. Aussie help?
I wish i could help you with this one, to my mind it's over rated. That said as a South African I grew up with Marmite and prefer it to Vegemite.

Also those of you arming yourselves with coon lights and frog gigs in the warming summer months in search for froggy beware of golf courses that use dangerous amounts of fertilizers that run off in there frog filled ponds do not consume!
Please elaborate.

LabRatBrewer said:
Still not sure what it is, but cold pizza for breakfast is always good.

Ah gotcha, if you find it at a food cart it's usually fries, cheese curd, smothered in white gravy. It gets taken to extremes though and you can find ground meat, melted cheese, cheese curd, and super rich gravy sometimes topped with sautéed onion. You mash it all together with a fork and on a cold day it'll keep you full. I wonder if I could recreate that dairy free? Hmmm.

Here in Germany, they have something called Mett. It is some sort of cured ground beef but you would honestly think its raw. They serve it on bread with onions.

Igitt wie Sau!

It is pretty much just raw minced pork with pepper and garlic. It's great. The path from the pasture to the plate is much shorter in Germany than it is in the U.S. and it is completely fine if you know the butcher. I wouldn't dream of doing this in the U.S.

Surströmming

In 1981, a German landlord evicted a tenant without notice after the tenant spread surströmming brine in the apartment building's staircase. When the landlord was taken to court, the court ruled that the termination was justified when the landlord's party demonstrated their case by opening a can inside the courtroom. The court concluded that it "had convinced itself that the disgusting smell of the fish brine far exceeded the degree that fellow-tenants in the building could be expected to tolerate."[12]

German food critic and author Wolfgang Fassbender wrote that "the biggest challenge when eating surströmming is to vomit only after the first bite, as opposed to before."[13]

Specifically the effects of the fertiliser and or the reason they become unsafe to eat.

Common pesticides used to control flying insects which are unfavorable on golf courses are Endocrine disruptors, chems these can cause frogs to have mutations i.e. extra limbs and sex changes and such. These aren't the Common Reed Frog Hyperolius viridiflavus which are known to do this. These are Bull frogs Rana Catesbeiana There is also the abundance of liquefied chicken litter, full of non absorbed growth hormones spread on cattle pastures "chicken litter is well liked for price and the high amount of ammonia in the litter left by urine of chickens. Then there are the greening agents currently added to high end fertilizers dyes and such that often turn the water a bright green far from any color of algae I am familiar with around here.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/epis...line/video-agricultures-effect-on-frogs/4848/

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/02/100301-atrazine-frogs-female-chemical/

Best for last
http://www.savethefrogs.com/actions/pesticides/index.html

Please don't take me as a common tree hugger I'm not a hippie either.:mug:

Please don't take me as a common tree hugger I'm not a hippie either.:mug:

Thanks so much for that info.

If I came accross as accusing of tree hugging and such, I apologise i did not intend it that way. I just wanted to know why you were advising as you were. The information provided is quite an eye opener.

Thanks so much for that info.

If I came accross as accusing of tree hugging and such, I apologise i did not intend it that way. I just wanted to know why you were advising as you were. The information provided is quite an eye opener.

The hippie thing was for every body its my fault, my arguments sometimes come across like green peace and pita people fussing and fighting. Amphibians are usually the first affected any change in their environment. Sorry for hijacking the thread! I also want to try Fugu! any takers?

No brand.. My gfs dad is a butcher he makes it himself.... We had it last weekend with over easy eggs like u said.... Omg soooooo good.... I have a lot of it if you need some haha

Oh sure...and now you'll tell me that your GF is rich and hot too. No one could be that lucky!

I'll be over for Sunday breakfast. Save me a seat at the table.

Back