Mystery leak driving me nuts- any help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PPRK

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon batch that I put into 2 (new to me) used kegs. Prior to putting beer into the kegs, cleaned, replaced and lubed every o-ring. Did a pressure test for 48 hours. Both held that pressure and did not have any soap bubbles during the test.

Since I had a keg in the fridge, I charged/ burped the kegs with 12 psi and was going to condition them for a couple of weeks checking on their pressure every day and refill them as needed, until there was going to room in the fridge (I have only one co2 tank) .

Keg #1 held pressure overnight but Keg #2 lost 5-6 psi. Refilled the drained #2 and checked with soap bubbles - no leak. By the evening it lost 5psi. Replaced the firestone poppets with universals and put a couple pennies under the lids legs. Soap test negative. Recharged with gas.

Next morning, still lost pressure(about 5-6 psi) while keg #1 over the same period maybe lost 1-2psi.

This time replaced lid and o-ring from another keg and found some new firestone poppets. Charged it again, no soap bubbles. Again the keg lost 4psi over an 6 hour period.

Im at my wits end. I have no idea where this keg could be leaking from. Suggestions?

Update 10/26: LLBeanJ was correct, what I thought was a leak was the beer absorbing the CO2. The co2 pressure has stabilized has not moved for 2 days. Why one keg absorbed more CO2 faster? In not sure, perhaps there was more beer in one vessel than the other.... Thanks!

Rather than a leak, CO2 is likely going into the beer and the pressure is equalizing out between the liquid and the headspace. Charge the kegs to 30 PSI to seal everything up and then leave them alone while they are in storage.

I considered that also, but it would not explain why the beer from keg #1 diffuses at significantly slower rate than keg #2 - the beer is from the same batch.

I figured you'd come back with that. It occurred to me as well, and I don't have an answer for you. However, if both kegs held pressure overnight when empty, there's no reason to believe they are not holding pressure when full, given that nothing else has changed.

Update 10/26: LLBeanJ was correct, what I thought was a leak was the beer absorbing the CO2. The co2 pressure has stabilized has not moved for 2 days. Why one keg absorbed more CO2 faster? In not sure, perhaps there was more beer in one vessel than the other.... Thanks!

Back