My Wine Is Carbonated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So apparently I accidentally made some sparkling wine :eek: I'm not sure what went wrong. I degassed it for 10 minutes with a drill. I wonder if I sucked more air into it? I tastes okay, not great, but not terrible.

It's only 5 months old.

What makes you think you made a sparkling wine? Is there noticable bubbles in the glass after you open a bottle (like beer or champagne)? There is a "test" where you put some wine in a test tube or hydrometer tube, seal it with your hand and shake it. It if gives you a puft when you take your hand off - there is still co2.

I think using a wine whip on a drill only does so much. I can't imagine people stirring with spoons like some instructions say. I think time is the best method for degassing, but patience is required. I use a mityvac to help things along and bulk age for a couple of months so I don't really use the shake "test".

So apparently I accidentally made some sparkling wine :eek: I'm not sure what whet wrong. I degassed it for 10 minutes with a drill. I wonder if I sucked more air into it? I tastes okay, not great, but not terrible.

It's only 5 months old.

It probably just didn't get degassed enough. I assume it was a kit, as it's only 5 months old and already bottled?

I know the instructions say to degas for just a few minutes, but I've had a few kits where I had to degas over a period of a couple of days to get rid of all of the gas.

I made the kit in nov/dec and it's been bottled for 5 months.

bummer :( It's just slightly carbonated, prickly on the tongue, but otherwise not too bad :) If I shake the bottle it forms a head and it will make a puff sound.

Thanks for the info, it's good to know when I try another batch.

Be careful of "bottle bombs" and the cork popping out if there is co2 present and possibly building up.

Back