My ugly eBrutus 20

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spkguitar

New Brew Dude
Reaction score
So I decided to dive into eBrewing. I got tired of paying for and running out of propane.

My system with propane was basically a Brutus 20, with the mash tun gravity feeding the boil kettle, and a pump re-circulating from the boil back up to the mash. I had it working pretty well, but the propane thing was bugging me, so I built an e-system.

My first plans were for a super cheap system, but those quickly gave way to thoughts of eventually upgrading to a full blown eHERMS (ala Kal, though I know mine will never be as pretty. :drunk: )

This is what I built:

photo-apr-06-11-49-44-am-1-62707.jpg

photo-apr-06-11-50-15-am-62708.jpg

2014-03-18-122801-62709.jpg

I cannibalized a few PJ diagrams that I had downloaded for the control panel; the single element 30A PID ( http://www.pjmuth.org/beerstuff/images/Auberin-wiring1-a4-5500w-BIAB-30d6.jpg), and a 50a back-to-back with keyswitch (can't find a link, but the file name is Auberin-wiring1-a11g-SWA-2451-5500w). I'm not going to show pics of the inside; it's too ugly right now. ;)
I went with lighted push switches for simplicity's sake, and cheaped out on the pump plugs and switches with combo swtich/plug home outlets. They work, though I may eventually put indicator lights on them.

The mashtun is a rectangular Coleman cooler (which I don't have any pics of). The brew room is the furnace room in the house, which we used to call the "holiday room" since we stored all of the yearly holiday stuff in there (Christmas, Easter, 4th of July, etc). I convinced SWMBO to move our storage items to the garage (where I used to brew), and let me take over the little room.

I've done two brews on it so far, and both went with minimal problems. My first brew was an easy 5 gal smash just to test it out. This past weekend, I did a 10 gal Kolsch.

I still need to come up with a better venting/hood solution in the tiny room, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

I wouldn't call it ugly...maybe that panel plate could be improved with the layout and labels. :)

Definitely address your venting....moisture + basement = mold problems.

Thanks.
And yep, Nothing I've done venting-wise so far has helped, so brewing is on hold for a bit. (Thank goodness I've got a few in the train)

Decided to move back out to the garage and install proper venting. Also decided to upgrade the panel since I'm moving it anyway, so I got the auber 2 PID precut. Panel layout planning is currently underway. Also planning to upgrade to a full herms gradually over the next year.

I'll document the new build if I can.

BTW, I used to live down in Woodbridge.

Yeah it takes time. Still taking care of details on my "new" eBrewery (below). Best/cheapest solution, imho, is a homemade hood, vortex fan ($80) and speed controller ($30). That's what I did. Of course getting venting outside can be tough depending on your space. You should take some wide shots of the space your working in.

IMG_1311small.jpg

Will do on the space pics.

I already purchased an inline fan (ACFB8), and intake/exhaust vents for the garage already. The driveway extends around the side wall of the garage, so it should be fairly straightforward. (crosses fingers)
Planning a homemade hood; still working on the material details.

Nice setup you've got there.

Thanks. Forgot to mention that the wood is just a plywood, not the cheapest grade. Sealed with a polyurethane.

Back