My top secert steak rub and burger seasoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnickASaurusRex

Reaction score
So it is burger weekend, thought I might post my top secret burger seasoning.

The recipe is written in parts by volume.

2 P Ground Black Pepper
2 P Dark Brown Sugar
1 P Ground White Pepper
1 P Dried Thyme Leaf
1 P Dried Powdered Mustard
1 P Ground Cumin
1 P Coarse Kosher Salt

For burgers I use 1 Tbs. season + 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce per pound of beef. It has a nice spice flare to it without the heat, so SWMBO and kids will like it also. On steaks I just marinade over night, then drain and rub this in about an hour before cooking.

I also use it in beef stew, jerky, beef n barley, etc. etc. etc... Just a good beef seasoning.

This could be good to mix up and just keep in a shaker in the kitchen. I like to sprinkle things like this on lots of stuff. Especially since the salt content is a small percentage.

I mix up a quart at a time. It last a few months in a mason jar, but I also give a lot of it away too. So I unload it before it starts getting stale.

Tried this tonight. I like it. It'll take a little tweaking to be "our" recipie, but it's a freaking awesome start. Frankly, I may be too lazy to change it...

Sounds interesting.
I've been doing the Montreal Steak Seasoning with a couple salad dressings and some Lea and Perrins Worcestershire on steak for several years. I might try this to shake it up, but darn that Montreal just lends a great robust punch to a steak.

Sounds interesting.
...but darn that Montreal just lends a great robust punch to a steak.

Absolutely! It give the steak such a nice little kick to it. Montreal Steak Seasoning now takes the place of the black pepper in my normal steak seasoning (Lawry's, garlic powder and black pepper.)

And to the OP, I'll have to give this a try in a much smaller quantity! :)

Latest posts

Back