My stepped up yeast starter is going nuts...what do I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumboldtBrewer

Reaction score
My yeast starter which I have stepped up has decided to spew out of my 2000 mL flask. I have mopped up what I think is a considerable amount of yeast and I am thinking of moving it to the refrigerator before I lose more. It is a 1000 mL step up and I feel like I am mopping up a lot of krausen. Am I losing more yeast than I am producing?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

If you can, try cooling the temperature a little while letting it continue. To lessen the activity. If not, I would clean up the overflow and continue as if nothing happened.

Fermcap is your friend.

when you pitch, I'd shoot for starting out towards the low end of the yeast's temp range, and oxygenate really well since you did lose a fair amount of yeast.

Funny you should post this today. I made a very modest (650 ML) starter for my NB American wheat brew day on Wednesday. Made the starter Sunday night. Woke up this morning to give my 1L flask a shake and it too foamed up big time and shot the foam stopper out of the flask and some foam from the starter escaped. I doubt I lost much yeast and since it was new yeast and it's a small gravity beer, I'm not going to worry about it. The starter probably wasn't even necessary, but it's best practice to always make one. I just learned not to shake my flasks too aggressively! Good luck with your starter.

Latest posts

Back