My Starter Is Unimpressive -- Will it Work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BooneDocks

Reaction score
Making my second extract batch, an IPA. I used dry yeast on my first amber batch and this time I am trying a White Labs California Ale Yeast WLP001. I didn't have any handy dry extract so I just made my starter like I did for the dry yeast -- a pint of boiled water and a couple teaspons of dextrose and cooled to 80 then pouring in the yeast vial. It really hasn't done much and it is about 20 hours after starting. There have been some
CO2 bubbles out the air lock of my half gallon jug and a bit of foaming and very very little krausen. I planned to pitch tomorrow morning. Is it going to work? Why so little activity? Too little sugar? Is there anything I should do to try to help between now and tomorrow when I brew? Or, am I going to have to start over with a new vial and a proper extract starter?

Making my second extract batch, an IPA. I used dry yeast on my first amber batch and this time I am trying a White Labs California Ale Yeast WLP001. I didn't have any handy dry extract so I just made my starter like I did for the dry yeast -- a pint of boiled water and a couple teaspons of dextrose and cooled to 80 then pouring in the yeast vial. It really hasn't done much and it is about 20 hours after starting. There have been some
CO2 bubbles out the air lock of my half gallon jug and a bit of foaming and very very little krausen. I planned to pitch tomorrow morning. Is it going to work? Why so little activity? Too little sugar? Is there anything I should do to try to help between now and tomorrow when I brew? Or, am I going to have to start over with a new vial and a proper extract starter?

Starters don't typically show much activity, but generally you make up about a pint of 1.040 wort to get it going. It's too late now, but from now on, keep dextrose away from your yeast. It's a simple sugar that the yeast will ferment, but then it may cause some issues when you want the yeast to ferment maltose (the sugar in wort). I know John Palmer's book talks about adding sugar to proof brewing yeast, but even the yeast manufacturer's don't recommend that. You can rehydrate dry yeast in water as package directions say, but make a starter (with no corn sugar) for liquid yeast.

What's done is done, though, and for now just leave it alone. You can plan on pitching it tomorrow as planned. You may have a bit of a lag time before it gets started, but it will probably be just fine.

What are you brewing tomorrow? Is it your own recipe?

Well, there is one problem that I see with your starter. You used dextrose, priming your yeast to eat that kind of sugar rather than the maltose in your wort. A couple of tablespoons in a pint of water isn't very much, either. Also, don't make a starter for your dry yeast- it's actually deleterious to healthy yeast.

When I prepare starters, I use 1/2 cup of DME to a pint of water.

Yooper, re your question. I am making a Bell's Two Hearted Clone, a recipe of my LHBS. Thanks for your post. I hope you wil be right that it may be ok.

UPDATE: There was no reason to worry. When I got up this morning, about 18 hours after pitching, the airlock was burping about once a second and there was a good thick krausen on top. Stressed for nothing.

YUP - been there. I had a starter 5 days before brewing and it was like NOTHING was happening - zero not one tiny bubble!!!!

Worked great!

Glad it worked out for you.

Latest posts

Back