My starter is blowing it's lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frailn

Reaction score
Okay, this here is a third generation starter of Wyeast 1469. I began this starter on Monday with a half gallon of DME wort and some washed yeast, it went through it's phases, then I added another half gallon of DME wort on Wednesday on my lunch break. Here it is five hours later. I caught the mess right in time when I heard the cap hit the ceiling. It's just bubbling out of the top non-stop. Maybe I'm going overboard on my starters? Or is this a monster yeast?

1469starter.jpg

You only want to cover it lightly. I use sanitized foil.

That said... Show of hands, who has had a rubber stopper hit the ceiling? :D

I make it a point to add a couple drops of fermcap to my starter wort as it's boiling. This serves two purposes... First, it prevents a mess on the stove. Second, it makes the starter no go rabid on me. :D Using a stirplate could also be helping keep it calmer. There's a few times that I've forgotten to add the fermcap, but I've not had messes. The starter did foam up some, but it never got to be an issue.

I've yet to have to mop the ceiling, or had a bung/stopper hit it. I am, now, using the foam stoppers that are available for flasks. Makes it much easier, IMO...

Yeah, it's about time I invested in the stir plate. Have been putting it off way too long.

Yeah, it's about time I invested in the stir plate. Have been putting it off way too long.

Either buy, or build one... I've not been able to build one that works as well as the one I purchased. If you can build one, go for it. Either way, having one is a HUGE benefit. I would also recommend getting either a 2L or 3L flask for your starters. You can always put less in them, making a 1L starter if that's all you need. But you cannot make a 2L starter in a 1L flask. :drunk:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back