My semi walkin 5000 btu fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As soon as my centennial blonde-ish slows down fermentation I'm gonna give the cold crash another shot. I'm gonna hopefully check the chamber with the thermal imaging camera tomorrow to see if/where I have any leaks. I'll see how low it will go.

I did find two places with the thermal camera that need a little more insulation around the door. I lowered the temp from 62 to 35 last night two see what it would do. It went from 62 to 51 in about 2.5 hours. This morning, 7-8 hours later, it had only dropped to 47. I'll see what it's at when I get home, which will be 12 hours since the last reading.

When I got home it was down to 45. Soon thereafter it got to 44, and is sitting right there with the A/C running every second that the controller will let it. The fan is on a 10 minute timer, and it never has a chance to shut off.

So, 16 hours later, it has dropped a whopping 1 degree. It is down to 43, and apparently that's where it's gonna stay. Next step is install some computer fans. I bought four 120mm fans on newegg for $12.99.

12 hours later and it is bouncing between 43 and 44. I taped over the hole I drilled in the bottom to drain to see if the water slinger will help it get any colder.

Not a damn bit! 44 is as low as it would go. I'm gonna put a few computer fans in there and give it another shot soon.

I've got a similar build going as we speak. Do you think it's necessary to have the delay relay keep the fan going for a bit or not?

Update:
I had a little mold grow in my chamber because I cooled it down, and let it come back up too quickly. Also, as the weather has cooled off, the A/C compressor would turn off leaving just the fan running. The fan would actually heat the inside of the chamber up to the high 70's. Yesterday I pulled the A/C out and bypassed the factory temperature switch so it will run when the controller tells it to without interference from the factory switch. I have to clean the mold out, and get the insulation I removed put back in. On my next batch I'm gonna either run the A/C fan 24/7, or finally get a power supply for the computer fans I bought. I also learned not to increase the temperature too fast. That's where my condensation came from. It basically sat there for a day and a half or more just sweating. Having a fan running that whole time may have minimized it. Either way, I'm not gonna raise the temp more than a couple degrees a day from now on. That way the A/C will have a chance to kick on and remove the moisture.

If you cover the insulation with something non-porous, like FRP, it would help with mold. Even contact paper would do in a pinch.

The mold was only on the shelf, not the insulation. I need to cover that shelf with something or paint it like someone recommended before.

Yup. Covered both sides and wrapped around the edges. Lots of overlap because the stuff sticks to itself better than anything else.

Back