my self titled "orange ale" tell me what u think.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red96jeep

Reaction score
so i'm playing around with the idea of an "orange ale", basically an APA with orange zest added to give a subtle orange flavor. this is my first time making my own recipe and first time doing anything with orange, let me know what u think of my idea.

6# gold LME
1# crystal 20L(steeped 30 min@ 150*)
1.5 oz. cascade 60 min
.5 oz. cascade 5min
2 oz. orange zest (fresh) added boil 5min

US-05 yeast (dry pitched).

beer calculus numbers
og-1.048
fg-1.013
7* SRM
23 IBU
4.7% abv
160 cal/12 oz woot!! gotta have the nutrition facts:ban:

yup that's it let me know what im' doing wrong!

Seems pretty good to me. My haus orange ale uses
5lb 2-row
1lb vienna
1lb flaked maize
1lb-ish potato
1oz cascade leaf (8.7AA) 60 min
.5oz cascade leaf (8.7AA) 35 min
.5oz coriander 35 min
safale US-05 @70F
primary ferment until completion
add zest of 1 fresh orange to secondary
bottle 2 wks after secondary
OG-1.046
FG-1.006
Might want to add a lb of 2-row

didn't mean to take over your thread, I've just had alot of good responses from this. Take what you will out of it.

i see your adding your orange at secondary, any reason why your doing that and not at boil?

umm....mostly because the first time I made it I forgot. But I do think it gives a little stronger of a fresh orange tang to the beer. Not bitter at all. I've actually thought that this might be really great with a belgian wit yeast as well.

My wife loved the american amber kits but always put oranges on the glass.

I used the American Amber extract, with the addition of 2 OZ of orange zest soaked in just enough vodka to cover, in the secondary.

The peels finally soaked down to the bottom after two weeks, but the flavor ended up being almost too much.

Next time I will go 1-1/2 oz of zest.

Back