My scrap built bottle washer & sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerMatt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Had an idea the other day about an electricly motorized bottle cleaning station, so I went through all the stuff in the garage last night and figured out I can probly make both with zero cost from various scrap I got laying around.

To work then.

ycES.jpg

A piece of 10mm copper tube bent as straight as I could by hand.

ycEH.jpg

Keyed the end a little to provide grip for the tin and soldered a nut to the end.

ycEi.jpg

I used to grow chili so I got all kinds of old hydroponics stuff left, for example these M6 microsprinklers.

ycEX.jpg

Found one of these garden nozzles from the hose connectors -bin...

ycE1.jpg

...gutted it, drilled the inside hole halfway down to 10mm and pressed the tube in. The tube is a wee bit over 10mm so it naturally both locks in and seals up.

ycE3.jpg

...and there you have my bottle washer jet I dubbed the "power wand". Makes up quite a turmoil inside a bottle, I took a long series of photos but gotta transfer them to my computer before I can GIF:ify them.

Still needs a some sort of trigger valve so I won't have to turn the tap on and off between each bottle.

ycEn.jpg

One time I built this ebb&flow type hydro plant pot from a few IKEA laundry baskets but never ended up planting anything into it so it's been sitting in the garage getting kicked for years.

ycED.jpg

Complete with a pump and everything. Just need to do a few minor modifications (and a thorough scrub inside and out)

ycE0.jpg

An extra hole to the center and a screw-on hose coupler threaded in...

ycEt.jpg

...as well as a quick click garden hose connector to the inside. The old ebb&flow pump inlet and overflow works well as drains back to the lower reservoir.

ycEv.jpg

I tried to connect the power wand onto the pump but turns out it creates a decent flow but nearly zero pressure so it couldn't sufficiently flow through the microsprinkler. So I whipped up this little fellow from some more scraps.

ycEC.jpg

Sum water, a little dish washer fluid and a plug in. Test run GIF coming from this as well later tonight.

Total cost of both builds: 0,00 Eur. And three ales.

this seems like a nice project but the photos aren't loading properly. any help with this?

Sry my old pic sharing server blew a fuse and doesn't seem to be coming back online, I fired the pics straight up the cloud from my phone and I'm afraid I no longer have the originals. Lost two years of custom bike build pics as well. Bummed bout that.

Anyhow that thing pretty much never saw use as I couldn't find a suitable adapter to the other end and ended up buying this J shaped push-vent faucet-mounted commercial bottle washer that works a treat.

Sry my old pic sharing server blew a fuse and doesn't seem to be coming back online, I fired the pics straight up the cloud from my phone and I'm afraid I no longer have the originals. Lost two years of custom bike build pics as well. Bummed bout that.

Anyhow that thing pretty much never saw use as I couldn't find a suitable adapter to the other end and ended up buying this J shaped push-vent faucet-mounted commercial bottle washer that works a treat.

Damn, I wanted to see the pics.

Gotta go through my phone later if I still got em. Got something like in the order of 3000+ pics there so rather sort em on the computer cus the phone starts lagging the deeper I go on the old photos.

My bottle washer. I wait till I have about 60 to wash.

That's pretty sweet. Wondered how someone would use a sump to make a bottle washer. Like the idea of using a T and adding a valve on to adjust flow.

Latest posts

Back