My Saison came out really dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moicel

Reaction score
HI guys, a couple of weeks ago I brew my first saison. I used dry yeast BE-134. I started my fermentation around 65 F for 4 days and then raised the temp to 80F.
the wort fermented between 70-78 for 14 days, My OG was 1.059 and finished 1.002. I tasted it and the beer is extremely dry. flavor is malty with a bit of peppery citrusy flavors that you find on a saison but then it just flavors get flat with that dryness and leave kind of a bitterness from the hops. I understand saisons need to be dry, but this is really dry. will flavor change or will dryness reduce as it is carbonated on a kegerator?
I'm very concern because it was really dry lol to the point i did not enjoy.
let me know your thoughts. below is recipe ingredients. I mash it at 149-152 for 60 min and boiled for 60 min
thanks

1608830781276.png

1.002 is within the style, so you're fine there. The flavor and mouthfeel will change after it conditions and carbonates. You might still dislike it afterwards, but it'll definitely change a bit.

It’s finished 1.002, it is expected to be dry and that is absolutely appropriate for style.
6F386CE8-18D3-4C1D-BD28-48AFC4E70E25.png

Last edited:
HI guys, a couple of weeks ago I brew my first saison. I used dry yeast BE-134. I started my fermentation around 65 F for 4 days and then raised the temp to 80F.
the wort fermented between 70-78 for 14 days, My OG was 1.059 and finished 1.002. I tasted it and the beer is extremely dry. flavor is malty with a bit of peppery citrusy flavors that you find on a saison but then it just flavors get flat with that dryness and leave kind of a bitterness from the hops. I understand saisons need to be dry, but this is really dry. will flavor change or will dryness reduce as it is carbonated on a kegerator?
I'm very concern because it was really dry lol to the point i did not enjoy.
let me know your thoughts. below is recipe ingredients. I mash it at 149-152 for 60 min and boiled for 60 min
thanks

View attachment 711533

You have to let it condition a bit...flavors will mellow and meld as time goes by...as has been shown on this forum multiple times...patience is a virtue!

1.002 is about what I would expect for your recipe with BE-134. If you don't want it quite as dry next time, omit the simple sugar from the recipe, and find a saison yeast that is a little less attenuative.

The beauty of a saison is it's dryness. I love that mine get to 1.004 or lower. One got to .996! In my opinion your brew did great. Give it a few more weeks and enjoy

Corn and sugar - gonna get pretty dry. 1.002 is about where I expect all my saisons to finish. Each one gets way better after about 8 weeks.

Latest posts

Back