My range died...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandw12786

Reaction score
My stove died on Saturday, was planning my fifth brew on Sunday, my first American Wheat. I'll be lucky if i have a new one by next Saturday. This sucks!

My stove died on Saturday, was planning my fifth brew on Sunday, my first American Wheat. I'll be lucky if i have a new one by next Saturday. This sucks!

Buy yourself a good burner. You will always be able to use it in the future, especially if you do full boils. Plus, you will be able to do your scheduled brewing Sunday!!

Agreed. That's what happened to my stove (after the wife expressed her displeasure) and I have been brewing in the garage with a nice double burner since.

I killed a stove a few years back, I was canning sofrito salsa at the time, but I’m guessing years of brewing on it is what cooked the wire insulation & caused the fire.

I bought a new oven & a 200,000 BTU Bayou burner. The new burner was also an improvement for Thanksgiving turkey frying.

I had a burner go out on an electric glasstop range. Fixed it last week.

1. I opened the panel containing the control knobs. 3 screws and it opens right up. Knobs are attached to the heat controller module.
  2. Removed controller for that burner and ohm-ed out the wires leading to the burner. I think it was 10-20 ohms, which is believable and means they were not burned open-ckt.
  3. Found part number of controller, found replacement on Amazon, ordered, put it in and back in business. New controller will cost $20-$100, depending on type of burner and range.

If you look at the cost and availability of appliances these days, you'll want to try to fix.

KAB4. Bayou Classic. Been using it for years and the batches have grown to 25 gallons. Converted to natural gas - but the thing is capable of significant heat output. Just need a kettle 12" wide. Oh - and fix your stove.

If you look at the cost and availability of appliances these days, you'll want to try to fix.

This!

I've saved $$$ by replacing small parts on major appliances...

Fridge, stove, dryer ..

A little googling... Some how-to YouTube videos... And some searching the various parts supply places for the correct part and you're golden ...

Takes a little bit of time and effort but saves a ton of $$$

Back