My plants got mixed up! Please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfowlks

Reaction score
So I had been growing my Cascade and Centennial hops in planters because I had been renting, and we recently moved, and on move day it was raining so we hired movers. The problem is now that I had one pot on one side of the porch, and one on the other and I knew which was which. But now I do not know which pot contains Cascade vs Centennial.

Here are some pictures. I will note that there are distinct differences between the two.
The first one has not gotten a ton of height, however it has filled out the lower areas quite fully. I have noticed that the leaves are a bit smaller than the other plants.

20140717_193529.jpg

The other plant is a bit more sparse but has been more focused on going vertical. I have also noticed that the leaves are a bit larger. They both started growing at about the same time, and have both had the same amount of sun, miracle gro etc.

20140717_193550.jpg
20140717_193558.jpg

If you could help me in discerning the two plants I would greatly appreciate it.

Good luck on that one. Only difference I can tell is that Cascade is usually a better producer with bigger cones than Centennial. You cannot really tell the difference in the two visually. Centennial is nicknamed a "super cascade". So they are similar. Just use them together in a brew and then no worries!

+1 on the first one being centennial. My centennial grow fast and bushy (compared to liberty I also have). I don't have cascade so don't know about that one.

I don't have a centennial, but I have 2 cascades and they look much more like your second plant.

Oof! That's going to be tough. I can tell you that my Centennial typically produces quite a bit more than my Cascade. Right now, with the two just feet from each other, the Centennials have well developed cones while the Cascades are just starting to bud.

Luckily, or maybe unluckily, the two are pretty similar so if you accidentally use one in place the other it's not going to ruin anything.

I've found it's actually pretty easy to identify my Centennials versus Cascades - once they've sprouted side-arms: those on the Centennials are much shorter than the Cascades.

Then, the Centennials will flower and cone up earlier than the Cascades - and the Centennial cones are round and full where the Cascades are long and blocky...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back