My new rig - advice on next steps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlyingSparge

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So after 10yrs of brewing with coolers I finally upgraded my brew system. So far I'm loving it. The pumps alone make brew day more fun. The only thing not in these pictures is a small manual switchbox I built to control the pumps.

Question for the guys that have done it before, what do I need to get automated fire/temp control? I know this topic has been beaten to death and I've read a million posts dating back pretty far. But with technology and technique always changing I figured I'd put the question out there.

Also, any other ideas for where this could go would be greatly appreciated. I'm already looking to upsize my Mash Tun & HLT. My buddies and I are having a blast brewing off this thing.

IMG_1577.jpg

647F3459-9E3B-4C7E-B8FA-39EB05ED53E9.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

82F1E4A5-BE0E-4BCD-8464-557F3EFC671D.jpg

I don't know if this qualifies as advice but I went from a structure similar to yours except with only burners for the HLT and kettle and a cooler mash tun to adding a copper HERMS coil to the HLT lid and a Honeywell gas valve to control the HLT burner. I built a simple control panel with one PID for the HLT burner and switches for two pumps plus a timer. I was trying up gain more mash temp control without spending too much money as I had both kids in college in 2016 when I modified the system. I primarily followed a lot of the suggestions in these articles plus a couple other pages and one of P-Js drawings to help with the panel wiring:
http://homebrewacademy.com/brutus-10-gas-system/
http://www.2nobledogsbrewing.com/2012/05/10/the-doghouse-brew-rig-build-part-two-the-gas-system/

I have used it about 25 times in the last couple years and I have yet to find something needing an upgrade.
20160409_135449_zpskmgrsnsf.jpg

20161006_141327_HDR_zps5m5gikky.jpg

IMG_1359_zps2foyb8nu.jpg

Good luck!

I went natural gas with a similar setup to yours.. actually did something just like beernutz. But I have 3 burners with honeywell valves and 2 pid controllers for the hlt and mash tun. The boil is just an on/off since temp control isn't important. Natural gas is amazing, super cheap and never run out. But if I had the option I would go electric. Unfortunately the service to my house wont support it..

Take a look at https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=625327. Auber's EZBoil controller also for precise temperature control for a HERMS coil and also a full-on controllable boil. Using stainless heating elements in the kettles and you won't have to fool with burners or propane/natural gas anymore. The diagram is less complicated than it looks.

To me, electricity makes more sense. Propane exchanges get pricey after a while, especially compared to electricity. And you already have the amperage you need. And with gas you have pilot lights and thermocouples and all the other safety features needed to not blow up your garage, plus all the complexities of the electrical control panel. A GFIC-protected electrical circuit is about as safe as it comes when dealing with electricity, propane, or natural gas.

Honestly, they both probably come out equally complex and accomplish the same ends, so it's really a matter of personal preference. My next build is going to be electric though, if only because I hate fooling with propane cylinders. I have to keep three on hand because it never fails that once one is empty, I forget to exchange it until the second one is also empty . . .

mirthfuldragon – thanks for the link. That's a great diagram. It's a tough choice between completing the propane setup which is only about $500 and a couple weekends away from completion. Or switching gears and pursuing electronic which would require more time, learning and investment. Good news is, we're having fun brewing on the system as is, so no rush.

The one huge thing that's making me reconsider gas is the emergence of wifi/app/Raspberry Pi capability in electronic brewing. Down the road it opens it up for Alexa-enabled brewing, etc. Part of me knows if I don't go electronic now, I'm going to convert in the future in order to bring the tech piece into it.

Back