My new mash paddle arrived today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dahoov

Reaction score
I have been collecting the equipment to start all grain batches. I asked my dad if he would be willing to make me a mash paddle.

My dad is a musician, carpenter, artist, engineer....well, generally a jack of all trades. I sent him a couple links to some photos and gave him pretty much free reign to make something. The only thing I really wanted was to have his logo included. See in his retirement he has started making and selling musical instruments. Here is his website. http://mackhooverwhistles.com/

In addition to making whistles he has begun an endeavor to repair, restore and make banjos. I now have 2 of his banjos in my living room. They are pretty cool. One is a 4 string fretless acoustic bass (I am a bass player) and the other is a traditional 5 string. Anyway, enough of the deviation.

20 minutes after I sent him my original email request he replied with a question that I answered promptly. A few minutes after that he sent me s sketch of his idea. I thought it was pretty cool so I told him so.

Well it is now a week later and the mailman rang the door today and was holding a long flat box. I was pretty excited because I didn't imagine he would finish it this quick let alone mail it to me.

So, behold results of his labor and imagination. Have I mentioned that my dad is pretty cool?

P1010819.JPG

Here is his logo. He had a custom "Brand" made that he heats up in fire to mark his work.

P1010820.JPG

He even rounded the back of the "Neck" to be like a real guitar.

P1010821.JPG

If you can't see the roundness here is another angle.

P1010822.JPG

All in all, I think it is pretty cool. I can't wait to use it!!!

Proste dad!! :mug:

If he should make some more, I am sure a lot of us would buy them! I was looking for a paddle today at Hop To It and they only had one and it was way to big for my 10gal MLT. So I just bought a cheap plastic one. I would jump on a cool one. I am a rafter so could I get one shaped like a raft paddle?

If he should make some more, I am sure a lot of us would buy them! I was looking for a paddle today at Hop To It and they only had one and it was way to big for my 10gal MLT. So I just bought a cheap plastic one. I would jump on a cool one. I am a rafter so could I get one shaped like a raft paddle?

I sent him an email asking how much he would charge to make one. The box he sent it in was from the USPS with $5.55 in postage on the label. When he gets back to me I will re post here. I suppose I could post something in the vendors list too.

I am pretty sure he would be willing to do custom paddles per your request, but I suppose we should wait to hear from him.

Slainte!!!

My dad wrote me back today and said he could sell them for around $50 plus shipping. He found a picture of a paddle to copy.
Breeze.jpg

Unless you have another design you would like copied.

He said he could make it of a variety of woods that he has available. Apple, Walnut, Soft Maple and Poplar were the ones he mentioned.

It looks like most of the ones on the market are Maple. I don't know if the fruit/nut trees would impart any flavor or not.

Send me a pm if you are interested and I can put you in contact with him directly, or you can send him an email via his website.

:mug:

Back