My new EHERMS brew room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forcabrew

Reaction score
Here it is. I want to say thanks to everyone here for all the help an great info and a special thanks to PJ. Maiden voyage should be this weekend possibly even tonight. All bottom draining weldless keggles.

image-3137053685.jpg

image-1132861567.jpg

image-1539734467.jpg

image-4146483951.jpg

image-2510314205.jpg

image-2139958215.jpg

image-2315745197.jpg

image-1990351270.jpg

image-2853115413.jpg

image-2834485274.jpg

image-89142634.jpg

image-2487860147.jpg

image-3871812665.jpg

I'm actually now considering holding off the maiden voyage until next weekend as I don't have a stand for my jaybird FB and I don't want to screw it up. I did notice a good amount of suction in my MLT during my tests while I was recirculating as the lid was on. After reading about it on here I think I'm gonna need a stand. Plus it's supposed to be 94 and very humid here in CT tomorrow. Anybody with a jaybird FB recirculating without a stand? Should I just take the lid off or would I lose to much heat? Also should I do 1.5quarts per gallon for my strike for recirc or stay with 1.25 quarts per gallon. Only brewed all grain with a friend a few times before I built this. And he hasn't brewed in a while.

I love your vent hood, brilliant idea!

I have a question about your controller. Is it plugged into both your HLT and BK? and then you just use the switch to chose which one one PID is measuring/controlling? If so, do you have a build thread because something simple like that is what I might be looking for.

WOW.! You did a really nice job on your build and set up.

It pleases me a lot that I was of some help to you in your adventure. Thank you for that.

P-J

Diggin' the setup, and love that vent hood! Like ToddPEI, I'm also curious about your controller and how you have it set up. Seems like it is simple, and I like simplicity with the fewest number of failure points. I strive to keep my biggest failure point the homebrew I'm consuming and it's subsequent intoxication level. :drunk:

Thank you guys for the kind words. The hood idea was from another member here on the forum and I stumbled upon the thread as I researched. The controller is also a thread I stumbled upon during research. PJ was kind enough to supply me with a wiring diagram which I still have on my computer and I'll try and post it up here for you guys this weekend. The elements plug into the back of the controller and you basically flip the switch on the controller to control which element you want. The temp probe is placed in the HLT so that the PID will keep the temp that you program into it for your strike temp etc.... Then when you boil you put the PID into manual mode and set the percentage rate so you can control your boil kettle and flip the switch engage the heating element. There are lots of threads on here going through the exact details of the build I'll try and find some links and post the wiring diagram over the weekend as I will most likely hold off on the brewing till next weekend.

I am a long time user of jaybird's folding false bottom and have a mash run setup nearly identical to yours. I have mashed nearly 27lbs and never even doubted the integrity the fb. I only recirculate at low speeds and have never had an issue with stuck mashes, so suction adding significant amounts of pressure was never a concern.

Nice setup!

I am a long time user of jaybird's folding false bottom and have a mash run setup nearly identical to yours. I have mashed nearly 27lbs and never even doubted the integrity the fb. I only recirculate at low speeds and have never had an issue with stuck mashes, so suction adding significant amounts of pressure was never a concern.

Nice setup!

thanks i needed some reassurance at least for my my first brew day and then maybe i will get a stand. do you recirculate with a lid on your MLT? i figured you did just wanted to make sure

forcabrew said:
thanks i needed some reassurance at least for my my first brew day and then maybe i will get a stand. do you recirculate with a lid on your MLT? i figured you did just wanted to make sure

Lid is mandatory for temperature stability

Awesome build.

Can you post a picture looking up under the kettles? From the outside, I am envisioning hard piping making a 90 degree turn and running to the front, where your ball valves are cleverly mounted and extremely accessible...best of both worlds!

ill try and get some pics for you this weekend. i have also been working with Jaybird for a custom stand for bottom draining Keggle MLTs using his False bottom.

Glad I inspired the hood! (posted on friends account) I was originally going to use a larger tote but lacked the proper head space. I'm looking forward to more pics of the bottom drain.

Looks great! One question. What's the floor like underneath your rig? I have a similar e-herms rig and I can't imagine brewing anywhere that wasn't prepared to get wet. Maybe it's just my technique, but even little things like priming a pump or running a counterchiller tends to lead to little leaks; big things like CIP can be splashy. . .

Jealous of the indoor setup, just hoping you have a floor drain. . .

Here it is. I want to say thanks to everyone here for all the help an great info and a special thanks to PJ. Maiden voyage should be this weekend possibly even tonight. All bottom draining weldless keggles.

Nice setup . I would love to try electric brewing

PLOVE said:
Looks great! One question. What's the floor like underneath your rig? I have a similar e-herms rig and I can't imagine brewing anywhere that wasn't prepared to get wet. Maybe it's just my technique, but even little things like priming a pump or running a counterchiller tends to lead to little leaks; big things like CIP can be splashy. . .

Jealous of the indoor setup, just hoping you have a floor drain. . .

Where I brew in my house is a converted garage. A few years before I bought my house the garage was converted to an in-law apartment. For years we have has family living there. But a few years ago the last family member left and it was left vacant. I was finally able to convince my wife to let me brew in there. My wife is very supportive in my brewing and my son helps out when he can. The floor is slab concrete with some carpeting. But the carpeting is very old and I will be putting in a new floor anyway. What I did to help out the spillage is I put a tarp down on the floor and on top of the tarp I put that foam rubber board stuff that you can get at home improvement stores. I still spill some stuff but very little wort spillage mainly a little water oxi or sani. I try to be careful but I'm not very worried about it

Love the plastic hood. any problem with steam temp too hot? I have a vortex and this is a cheap diy solution.

Latest posts

Back