My MM3 grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a leeson 1/2 hp dc motor. I used a speed controller/converter just like this to run it. With a dc motor you get a lot more power scaling down the speed then you would with a ac motor.

I have not milled with it yet, i am waiting on grain now. I got the motor and speed controller/ power supply from an auction at my work, the 80/20 was scrap pieces that i pulled from the trash at work and cleaned up. I might be able to come up with more motors and power supplies/ controllers if someone wanted them...

We use them on our take-up tables and are in the process off upgrading them with new equipment that have e everything built in. The power supply converts the ac power its plugged into (wall outlet) to dc power for the motor. It has different pods that adjust speed, acceleration, deceleration etc....once those are set correctly you can just use a dial switch to control speed to optimize mill rpm's. I could have probably set the speed with just the board and left it but had the dial switch so I used it.

View attachment 1453657919762.jpg

I've used the mill for two 12 gallon batches and it works great. I took a video but cant figure out how to post it......

Back