My MASSIVE Craigslist Score!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely just a mash tun with what looks like a herms coil just sitting inside.

Exactly.

I will probably convert to just a standard mash tun. Problem is he cut a second hold in the side to run the cold line I guess.

I will have to do some mods for sure but overall good deal. The pot's valve is like a sprinkler. My guess is he was using the pot with the water to run on top on the grain when he was sparging. Which makes me more confused because the herms take up so much space. As well at the bottom, he had a set of stainless line connected to a t-connector which would be for mashing.

Alright so here is complete haul minus the burner(which is pretty old and rusted). Everything is all cleaned up. I soaked the coils in vinegar and water to remove the gunk off of them. Everything will be cleaned a second time and sanitized with StarSan once I get back home but for now, I appreciate mom letting me turn her kitchen into basically a big bathtub. Very pleased now that everything is clean. Heading to Lowe's to grab some new hoses and my brother has a step bit so I will be drilling the keg today as well for a tap and site glass.

1397927573876.jpg

Man, the buffalo craigslist is crap. Right now there's an ad for a three tap keezer for $700, a cabinet fermenter that uses ice bottles and a fan for $500, and a 12 gallon glass carboy for $250.

That cooler is odd. Is it possible he had a gravity fed rig and was heating hot water to circulate through his mash if it cooled too long?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

That cooler is odd. Is it possible he had a gravity fed rig and was heating hot water to circulate through his mash if it cooled too long?

No idea but what I think he was like doing a tier system or something but I am converting it back to a regular mash tun and using the two coils as wort chillers. I just have to plug the hole he drilled in it which I still am lost as to why.

Dude! That is worth a grand. Nice pick up on CL!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Dude! That is worth a grand. Nice pick up on CL!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Craigslist was my friend on this day.... Lol.

I can never talk down about it anymore. My last 2 picks have been good. I purchased a 10 gallon cooler for $15 before this haul in.

Now that you this and I think about it, I did see something called wine pellets. Its that bottle that was at the bottom of the keg. Maybe it was used to keep the temp up.

Still not sure but it has been converted back to the mash tun that is was originally.

Back