My last three fermentations have been ridiculously fast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billybryson54

Reaction score
I've probably brewed at least 40 batches of beer. About 20 batches ago, I went all-grain, with temp-controlled fermentation, boiling in a keggle with a double batch sparge and most of the time I hit my numbers spot on, beer has always been delicious, and between friends, SWMBO and myself, it always seems to disappear out of the kegs faster than I can brew it. I always ferment ales for 2 weeks, even if they appear to be "Done", and thus brings up my question.

My last 3 batches appeared to finish extremely fast. Two batches in a row it was Cream of 3 Crops. One of those 2 batches, I brewed it late on a Sunday. OG was 1.052, Rehydrated and pitched US-05 in 70 degree wort, fermented at 66-67. My krausen ring just barely appeared and disappeared in the same day(Which was the next day, by the way)The krausen was not even enough to really make a mess on the side of my carboy. Tuesday I checked the gravity with a hydrometer, it read 1.008. A pretty much complete fermentation in about 36 hours. Lol The same thing happened with I brewed a Deception Stout last week. Whole brew day went fantastic, I don't remember all the stats but everything went exactly the way it should....well it went from 1.070 to 1.014 in just two days. I let all 3 of those "Quick" batches sit a few days, continually checking gravity just to be sure but the gravity never budged. Figured it was complete.

It's not the first time I've brewed either one of these recipes. I've probably made at least 10 batches of Cream of 3 Crops. I've never had this happen before. I'm not worried or concerned cause they DO taste fantastic, i'm just curious more than anything. Any ideas/clues? No part of my process has changed, and for the record, I do not use Ferm-cap.

I agree that 2 days for full fermentation to occur is extremely fast. I have not experienced such a quick completion as of yet. I keep all my beer in the FV for 3 weeks minimum, well after fermentation has completed. I just believe the additional time on the yeast helps improve on the taste and character.

Back