my lager fermentation fridge "build"...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antony

Reaction score
the backstory:
So, I've got a 23 cu ft chest freezer that I typically use to ferment in (a buddy usually brews with me). Once a year around January we brew lagers & the freezer is turned into a lagering chamber for months & the rest of the pipeline dries out & falls to pieces until May/June. I've been wanting to get a 2nd freezer to lager in (despite the wife's objections..."how many freezers do you need?? Me: I only have 3, I NEED 4).

this past Sunday:
My handy cl app alerts me to a free (yup) side by side fridge ten minutes away. I race over, pick it up & bring it home to the garage. It was cold when I picked it up so I have high hopes.

I've spent the majority of the week (after work) cleaning the sucker, gutting the center divider & pulling off the shelving from the doors.
wide_view.jpg

Now, I've come across this humidity control thing (?) & I'm thinking I'm going to pull it out this weekend. I figure since it's not going to be hooked up to water, it should be fine.

humidity_control.jpg

Of a little more concern is what looks to be a fan vent from the center divider to the fridge side.
door_air_vent.jpg

I've read about all the sweet builds where the fans/thermostats are rewired but I was hoping to just gut this and use a johnson controller with a couple of pc fans if need be. So, at the moment, I'm considering leaving this in & just trying to work around it.

Tomorrow I'm gonna tackle the ice dispenser in the door and think about the ice maker. I know nothing about wiring so I'm a bit concerned of taking too many electronics out and having something screw up. For now I'll just try and make it as spacious as possible.

Sunday I wanna look into some sort of tape/insulation for the exposed foam from the divider demolition and the foam where the door shelving was. I'm thinking leaving that exposed would just invite mold in time.

So that's that. Advice greatly appreciated, just figured I'd share.

Awesome! I just picked up a traditional fridge/with freezer on top last weekend myself ( ;

Going with the STC-1000 to control the temps on the fridge with.

But I have also been doing some research and am impressed with those guys who can modify these things to do what they want on the cheap!

From what I have learned recently it sounds like you may have a newer style. The fan you speak of is used to keep the fridge cool? IDK but it is fun learning about stuff you never would have thought you could use... until ya need it!

Back