My Kettle Etching Projet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stef57

Reaction score
I got tired of relying on small sharpie marks on the inside of my kettle to guesstimate how much wort was in it.... so I pulled up my sleeves and etched some permanent marks in it.

I have a 32L kettle and use it to brew 19-23L batches (5-6gal)
I use the BIAB technique, using all the grain needed for a full batch with about 2/3 the water. I boil as needed, chill and transfer to fermenter than top up to my desired volume and/or gravity with water! I've had very good success with this method without having to upsize my kettle or build a mash tun!

But back to the subject.... here's a few pictures of my etching project, let me know what you think

kettle-etch-3-65344.jpg

My kettle all cleaned up before the mod..

kettle-etch-5-65345.jpg

Here's the vinyl masks I made up. I was fortunate enough to be able to grab the old vinyl cutter from work when we upgraded.... its perfect for my small home projects.

kettle-etch-6-65346.jpg

All marked and ready to go.... You can see my old sharpie marks, which apparently weren't all that accurate...

kettle-etch-7-65347.jpg

Applying the vinyl mask

kettle-etch-8-65348.jpg

Here the mask is complete and taped... ready for the etching process

kettle-etch-9-65349.jpg

Here's a picture of my etcher/marker. Again made from spare parts from work.
It has a 12VDC power supply for etching and a 12VAC power supply for marking/plating.

kettle-etch-13-65350.jpg

Etching away....

kettle-etch-14-65351.jpg

All done, ready for cleanup!!

kettle-etch-15-65352.jpg

Here's the final product!!
I'm very pleased with it.. I was a little light on the etching in a couple spots but think it turned out quite well.... Will be much better than my felt marks....

Please post comments and questions.... I'll be more than happy to assist if you want to try it out!! It is quite easy to do. All you really need is a 9v battery, an X-acto knife and some steady hands.
I went all out because,.... well I have the resources, and i will be using it for other projects...

Looking good mang. Now just get some bar keepers friend on that kettle and you will be looking pro fo sho

Looks great man, I regret not doing numbers like you did. But I have no idea how i'd brew without the etches ^^

Very nice job.

So neat.

I etched mine too. Used a 9 volt battery, salt and vinegar, and cue tip.

1/4 gallon marks added to existing 1 gallon manufacturer's marksimage.jpg

Not going to win any style points for mine I'm afraid.

Very nice job.

So neat.

I etched mine too. Used a 9 volt battery, salt and vinegar, and cue tip.

Not going to win any style points for mine I'm afraid.

Looks great!! I haven't tried to use a 9v battery myself but looks like it does a pretty good job!

Looks great!! I haven't tried to use a 9v battery myself but looks like it does a pretty good job!

It works well but I have to say your etching is the best I have seen to date on this forum. I real stellar looking result. Great pictorial outline of your process to boot. Thanks for sharing it. 5 star result

Outstanding work.

Could you please elaborate on your vinyl cutouts, where did you get them, how can I get them.

I am finishing up my brewery (Click here for shameless promotion) and I want the quality you did inside my kettles.

Hey Man,

I have a vinyl cutter at home.. That's what I use. I guess you could try eBay but looks like you live in a city so your local sign shop is probably a good bet. Since the color does't matter, they can run them at the end of any job they are cutting so it should be pretty cheap too... Yesco and Steward signs are 2 That I know of in your area... but I'm sure there are a dozen or so to choose from.

I made the lines 1/8" think by 1/2" long, and the numbers are 1/2" tall.

hope this helps
Stephan

Back