My kegerator has died

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
My kegerator will not cool below 13 degrees C... it has slowly gotten warmer and warmer.. I think it has finally bit the dust. Just spent money on the brew shed so gotta hold off on buying another freezer. I think I will go for a new one this time.

It's a shame you're in Ohio because my father in law has a working chest freezer that he's trying to get rid of for free...and I don't have the room. :(

My kegerator will not cool below 13 degrees C

Is there frost/ice all over the cooling plate inside the kegorator? Most kegorators are NOT self-defrosting like most modern fridges are, and if the cooling plate gets covered in ice, then the air the condensor pushes over that plate will not get as cold.

If that's the case, take a bucket of hot water and melt that ice off the cold plate and your kegorator will come back to life.

Hope that's it! I thought mine was dead the first time this happened to me, but I brought it back to life!

Or it needs recharged with coolant...otherwise, god speed good buddy.

I defrosted it...still runs and not getting very cold.Never dropped below 13 degrees C... wife is OK with the purchase of a new one. and all of this stuff can just be installed on a new one except I have the big custom made drip tray that is fitted to this one.. oh well. Anyone know what size I will need to hold 6-8 kegs? This one will hold 13 and that is just overkill.

My kegerator will not cool below 13 degrees C... it has slowly gotten warmer and warmer.. I think it has finally bit the dust. Just spent money on the brew shed so gotta hold off on buying another freezer. I think I will go for a new one this time.

Fellow brewers,

We are gathered here today to lament the loss of OhioSteve's kegerator.

While I did not personally know his kegerator, I know his feelings of sorrow at this trying time of his life.

Take heart, OhioSteve. Many refrigeration units waste their entire operational lives by cooling meat or eggs or other unnecessary foodstuffs, but YOUR kegerator served mankind well by keeping BEER at a very pleasant serving temperature, and truly there is no higher honor in a refrigeration unit's call of duty. And for that, your kegerator was very proud to serve.

May it go on to the Great Recycle Plant, and may it be torn down and made into materials for yet another kegerator or keezer, and thus may it serve tasty, perfectly-chilled beer for life everlasting. Amen.

It was a good kegerator and enjoyed a good long life.

He left behind a pale ale, a saison, and a few miscellaneous bottles.

He will be missed....

My condolences... hope she served you well!

To answer your question... check out the Danby 8.7. Free delivery at about $300 from home depot. Fits 6 comfortably on the floor... pin or ball locks w a collar. 2 more on the hump if you choose

jeremy0209 said:
It's a shame you're in Ohio because my father in law has a working chest freezer that he's trying to get rid of for free...and I don't have the room. :(

Does your father in law live near NY? I am in need of a freezer to start kegging

went to sears to check out the 8.8 cu ft black freezer.. supposedly it holds 8 cornies.. I took cut outs and barely got 5 to fit.. so still looking for a replacement.

went to sears to check out the 8.8 cu ft black freezer.. supposedly it holds 8 cornies.. I took cut outs and barely got 5 to fit.. so still looking for a replacement.

Try this if you don't mind white. Fits 6 ball or pin locks on the floor and 2 on the hump comfortably. Free home delivery and I bought it when it was on sale under $300. It's a little shorter, so it might get a little tight if you're not building a collar.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Danby-8-7-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-DCFM246WDD/202677392#BVRRWidgetID

Steve,

You're right. The 8.8 cu ft Kenmore/Frigidaire holds 4 ball lock cornies on the floor with space for one entirely on the hump and another partially hanging off the hump. I bought one to use with only 4 cornies and have room for up to 8 six packs of bottles if I double stack them on the hump.

Try this if you don't mind white. Fits 6 ball or pin locks on the floor and 2 on the hump comfortably. Free home delivery and I bought it when it was on sale under $300. It's a little shorter, so it might get a little tight if you're not building a collar.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Danby-8-7-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-DCFM246WDD/202677392#BVRRWidgetID

gonna have to paint whatever I get anyway ... don't really like home depot for political reasons however..Lowes offers free delivery and free haul off of the old one so that is a big money saver for me.. going there next week.

Steve,

You're right. The 8.8 cu ft Kenmore/Frigidaire holds 4 ball lock cornies on the floor with space for one entirely on the hump and another partially hanging off the hump. I bought one to use with only 4 cornies and have room for up to 8 six packs of bottles if I double stack them on the hump.
you are able to fit more than I could. I got 3 on the floor is all I could get. And as you said 1 or 2 on the hump. I just talked to lowes and the sales rep seems to think they have refrigerators that are horizontal like a big chest fridge. gonna go there soon and check it out.

old kegerator has been torn down...all parts cleaned and bagged...feel like I lost a friend lol.... new freezer coming tomorrow or thursday... should be a pretty quick build unless I start trying to think of new ways to tweak it.

yes it is dead....getting a LITTLE smaller new one.... probably build a cabinet with a coffin this time. I think they look better and I think they would be a better seal than a collar.

Latest posts

Back