My Keezer is done!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great build, I'm getting my freezer this week and I'm going to "borrow" most of your ideas. Has anyone built or configured a hybrid collar design? I love how your freezer lid is recessed by I also like the idea below where the collar slides down over the freezer to secure it.

http://homebrewacademy.com/kegerator-collar/

I'm thinking 2x6 inner collar with 1x8 trim pieces. I would then mount the outer trim so there is a 1/2" extension on top and 1 1/2" extension at the bottom to secure the collar to the freezer.

Thanks! Seems like another detail I forgot to mention in the original post, but my collar is recessed both on the top and bottom. About 1-1/4" for the top and 3/4" for the bottom. It's more for aesthetic purposes to hide the seal where the collar meets the freezer. The weight of the collar and enough adhesive ensures it's secure. I would have to intentionally tackle the collar for it to budge. ;)

Thanks! Seems like another detail I forgot to mention in the original post, but my collar is recessed both on the top and bottom. About 1-1/4" for the top and 3/4" for the bottom. It's more for aesthetic purposes to hide the seal where the collar meets the freezer. The weight of the collar and enough adhesive ensures it's secure. I would have to intentionally tackle the collar for it to budge. ;)

Sounds goods, thanks for the info. I need to double check but I don't think I'll be able to cover the seal without some type of notch. There really isn't a good lip to lift the lid on my Igloo. I started building my caster frame tonight. I'll likely start a thread once I get more progress/pictures.

en1ZR5j.jpg

ZhL0smd.jpg

44fK3gR.jpg

What is the estimated cost of materials for this beautiful keezer? Thanks for the post and great pictures!
Sorry I just read your very detailed part list. Thanks for the great info and detail. I need a calculator. Seems like overall over $ 1000. I will piece mine together in many phases to hide the total cost shock from the wife. Maybe start with only two kegs with picnic taps at first. Then add the collar and facets and more kegs later. Any comments on how to divide the expense up differently. I bought the 8.8 cubic foot kenmore chest freezer in matte black. I have been all grain brewing and bottle for two years now. Looking forward to kegging for less labor and clearer beer but it's a has a big price tag.

I am wondering if reducing the weight of the collar is a good idea? Using 1 x 6 and 1 x 8 boards. Also cedar for both or maybe the interior 1 x 6. Any thoughts? Is the 2 x 6 board functionally needed for stability and or spacing?

Last edited:
my keezer is very similar to GrainToGlass'. starting with only the freezer and a couple picnic taps is a great idea. you'll want some decent moisture control inside the keezer since you'll need to open the lid each time you want a beer. go for a two body primary regulator right away, this allows you to carb two beers at two different pressures and sets you up for future expansion. once ready to expand, put the collar on but only the rough lumber with insulation, add the fancy finish boards later. paint the exterior of the rough lumber if you don't want to stare at naked wood for a while. you can add faucets as you go, no need to get them all at once. you can either pre-drill holes for all the shanks and plug the holes with foam or similar, or drill them as you go (messier). the bigger up-front purchases will be the secondary regulator assembly and the drip tray, you'll want to buy those only once so get the size you'll want for the final install. maybe go with the drip tray first and a couple faucets, basically expanding the picnic tap system. you don't need the large secondary regulator assembly for that.

and get the biggest co2 tank you are planning for right away if you can, no need to buy a smaller 5 lb tank and then have to upgrade later to a 10+ lb tank. might not be a bad idea though, to have that smaller tank as a spare. i started out with two 5 lb tanks but then quickly jumped up to a 20 lb tank. i use one of the old 5 lb tanks during kegging for transferring sanitizer, purging, etc. the second one is a full-blown spare in the event the main 20 lb or smaller 5 lb tank goes out.

Back