My Keezer has died

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noblebrew

Reaction score
Today my keezer died. The repair man has informed me that one of the cooling tubes has a leak and he can't get at it to fix it. :( So now I have a giant insulated box. I'm thinking I could turn it in to a lagering chamber. Any thoughts as to what else I could use it for?

You got my attention. Tell me more.

The chest freezer is used to help keep the worms at a constant temperature. It's fine that it doesn't work as long as you don't let them get too hot. My grandpa had a huge farm built in one. They had a lot of gardens and a compost pile where he used the worms, and they lived right on the shore of lake Eufala and we would use the worms for fishing too. Worm farming is about as dead simple as farming goes. Here is a basic article on how to do it:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5544060_use-old-freezer-worm-farm.html

If you can't cool it, heat it!

Incubation chamber
Proofing cabinet
Saison fermentation

How did the coil spring a leak?

The chest freezer is used to help keep the worms at a constant temperature. It's fine that it doesn't work as long as you don't let them get too hot. My grandpa had a huge farm built in one. They had a lot of gardens and a compost pile where he used the worms, and they lived right on the shore of lake Eufala and we would use the worms for fishing too. Worm farming is about as dead simple as farming goes. Here is a basic article on how to do it:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5544060_use-old-freezer-worm-farm.html

thank you I will look into it.

Worm farm! Brilliant!

No offense Satesh, but the problem I am having is not "What do I do with this giant white box" it is more of "HOW IN THE LIVING F**K DO I CHILL AND SERVE MY BEER?????"

Fortunately it is cold outside, and I briefly considered a "window build" with taps on the inside and kegs outside, but all I got from that though was a mild chuckle as I envisioned neighborhood kids somehow getting a tap, and then drinking all my beer....or stealing the kegs......or both.

Trash it or use it as a base for that son of a fermentation chamber. Ice, fan, etc.

Back