My irish red ale over attenuated... trying to fix with beer sweetener... Need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leisure Master

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm way on the dry side on my latest batch and trying to fix it with some mysterious powder from my local hbs. I've attached pics for reference.

Anyone ever use this stuff before? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

T

ForumRunner_20121111_174336.jpg

ForumRunner_20121111_174355.jpg

After some Internet research, the sodium saccharin listed in the ingredients is what gives Sweet'n'Low its sweetness. I imagine if you don't have some kind of adverse reaction to the taste of Sweet'n'Low then this will be fine to sweeten your beer as it is not fermentable. Some people use Splenda as well. I imagine you could have saved a few bucks by just buying Sweet'n'Low from the store but oh well.

I was on a diabetic diet for a number of years, IMO saccharin taste like crap and I sure wouldn't put it in my beer.

You could try lactose. What ever you use, bench trial it with a small sample first, when you find the right dose, scale that up to batch size. Are you kegging or bottle conditioning this?

If you are kegging, you can treat with Potassium Sorbate (Sorbistat K in wine stores) then sweeten with regular table sugar. Sorbistat K prevents fermentation from re-starting.

You could also add some maltodextrine, which is an unfermentable sugar commonly used in home brewing.

Leisure Master said:
Hi guys,

I'm way on the dry side on my latest batch and trying to fix it with some mysterious powder from my local hbs. I've attached pics for reference.

Anyone ever use this stuff before? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

T

How dry is "way on the dry side"?

Saccharin is a disgusting artificial sweetner and I wouldn't bring it within 10 feet of my beer. Just bottle your beer as it is.

How dry can it be? I say don't mess with it, drink and learn. Don't put that crap in your beer.

helibrewer said:
You could try lactose. What ever you use, bench trial it with a small sample first, when you find the right dose, scale that up to batch size.

I made a Strawberry Kölsch for my SWMBO by having a secondary fermentation with lots and lots of strawberries. Came out smelling smack you in the face strawberries but it was very tart and dry. I back sweetened with a pound of lactose and that seemed to help. I would probably have used more except that I only had a pound and the nearest "LHBS" is 3 hours away.

Back