My gravity is way off (full boil though)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KepowOb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my latest brew is 17 points too high! It's an extract brew, but I did a full boil (started with 6.5, ended with 5.25ish in my carboy, no top off water at all).

I had my recipe in Beersmith, and it estimated my OG to be 1.056. When I measured it, it was 1.073.

Recipe was 7lbs of DME (everything boiled for 60min) and 2lbs of Crystal 60, which I steeped at 155-160F for 40minutes in about 3 quarts of water, plus the hop additions.

I've since tested my hydrometer in distilled water, it read exactly 1.000. Temperature of the wort was 74F when I measured it, and I'm taking into account the temp correction.

Any ideas? I know extract brews can throw off OGs if not mixed properly, but I was under the impression that was only from partial boils and then adding water in afterwards. I've always been within .001 of my OG before this brew, so I have no idea what the heck I did wrong. I'm also sure I didn't put in an extra 2lbs of DME.

I brewed this over the weekend, but I've been going over (and over) everything to see where I might have gone wrong, and I can't figure it out... so it's up to you guys now.

Are you sure beer smith took into account that 1.25 gal of boil off? That sounds like it could cause pretty close to the gravity difference.

Yeah, I have my equipment profile set up properly. Beersmith had me starting with 6.47 gallons and boiling down to 5.5. I had slightly less (say 5.3-5.4... my measurements are by .25gallon increments, and it was just below 5.5), of which slightly more than 5.25 ended up in the fermentor (left a very little bit of gunk and whatnot in the kettle). Maybe I boiled off a bit extra, but not enough to cause that big of a miss.

Well, you can't create sugar out of nothing, so lets look at the numbers.

DME is around 43 points, depending on the batch. The crystal steep should be about 25 points/lb

So, 43x7+25x2=351 points of sugar. In 5.25 gallons, that would be 1.067. In 5 gallons, that would be 1.070. You might get a little higher out of the crystal, but only a point.

Are you sure you are correcting the temp in the right direction?

I didn't think I'd be getting anything out of the Crystal without mashing it with some base grains... or if I did, I thought it was be very little (much less than 25 points/lb anyway). If that's the case... then that might just be the answer.

I used an online calculator to correct for temperature. It's also possible I had a little bit more DME. I had two 3-pound bags plus an extra pound I measured out myself... I didn't think of measuring them, but since starting the thread I measured others that I have from the same supplier and they're each a little bit high (not enough for 17 points obviously, but maybe enough to knock it up by a little).

Latest posts

Back