My ghettofabbed mostly trash built garage cooker hood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerMatt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Don't have proper ventilation in the garage so when boiling the wort the humidity level increases so much you notice it in your clothes, so figured something ought to be done.

20170312_1647178e0d1.jpg

I've had this vent thingy laying in the garage shelf for I don't even know, over ten years. Found it from a skip somewhere and decided to hold onto it. The duct fan I bougt today, cost 16,90eur. Not exactly a hurricane in a can but better than nothing. Vent housing made tight with the hole in the wall with fiberglass motorbike exhaust heat wrap and aluminum tape.
20170312_16584595347.jpg

10eur worth of expandable air duct, tossed it onto the shelf for the time being.
20170312_17114358d9f.jpg

The hood itself is an upturned 65 liter stainless steel sink from what I tried making a boiling pot but it's way too thin for that. A skip find as well. The duct fitting I bought today.
20170312_180330203f2.jpg

Beginnings of a bracket, had to call quits for today but will be attempting to finish this by next weekend.

20170315_1819224b62d.jpg

Final additions, a crossbeam I forgot to make before fitting the hood to the roof, and the hook. When stored it stays neatly up there, left side end locks onto the angle iron when tugged down...
20170315_18174322c7b.jpg

...to hang a a sparging bucket over the boiling pot. Saves me the bother of one transfer vessel

It's a pretty satisfying feeling to visualize something in your head and then making it become reality ;) Not visually too appealing but does exactly what I expect of it. The only bummer is now the clock corner is pretty dim but I plan to add LED strips to the edge of the sink that will lit up when the fan is turned on. But as a purely visual detail that can wait for now.

Umm, by intuition? :D Had a vision, had most of the parts, fired up the MIG rig, cracked a tall boy and started cutting then welded the pieces together :D I don't do CAD files or strength calculations I try different stuff until I either get then working or realize the idea was stupid to begin with. This one ended up working, in fact as I write this there is a motorbike handlebar hanging from the crossbeam drying from being spray painted. The hood took all the fumes out just like that.

Back