My first water kefir beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chef1978

Reaction score
So,I've been drinking water kefir or few weeks,than the idea (nothing new) came to my mind,to brew small batch of extract beer and ferment it with the kefir water,well seems like it works well,I couldn't find any solid info on the net,the og was 1.056 the FG is 1.010 ,it has a hint of banana smell,taste slightly funky,like good Saison or farmhouse ale,not much of sourness thought.as you can see it looks like regular ale fermentation.cheers,and keep brewing.

Attachments

• IMG_20171206_081139.jpg
    IMG_20171206_081139.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 117
Cool. What is water kefir?
its like the milk kefir,just made with water,and the bacterial culture that are called kefir grains are different species than the milk one,they are colony of symbiotic organisms .

its like the milk kefir,just made with water,and the bacterial culture that are called kefir grains are different species than the milk one,they are colony of symbiotic organisms .

I'm sure I'm being dense, but I'm missing a basic concept here. How do you ferment water into kefir?

What was your addition rate of kefir to wort? Did you use grains too?
i used about 500ml of just the water without grains,in 4 liters of wort,i feel that even less water will still be ok,the picture you see is after 24 h from pitching.

I'm sure I'm being dense, but I'm missing a basic concept here. How do you ferment water into kefir?
you take chlorine free water,add table sugar and mix with water kefir grains,which you can buy online,it has pleasent sour taste,im sure this is the reason people call it water kefir,it actually resembles kombucha just without the tea.

you take chlorine free water,add table sugar and mix with water kefir grains,which you can buy online,it has pleasent sour taste,im sure this is the reason people call it water kefir,it actually resembles kombucha just without the tea.
Here where I live they say kefir grains should be given and not sold. Mine came from my wife's co-worker and I've given grains to a couple of neighbors. There are sites where people offer grains for free (they usually ask for a SASE). Of course if you can't find somebody around you who'll give you some, there's nothing wrong with buying them. Let us know how it goes.

Back