My first Stuck ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Smajda

Reaction score
Hey all.
First time I've had a stuck ferment. At least I think it's stuck.
SG: 1.076
10 weeks later 1.052
Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead
Degassed twice the first week with a degassing wand. Gave the carboy a good shaking from time to time as well.
Also added a bit of white lab wine nutrient when degassing and maybe a teaspoon of energizer.
No measurements until week ten.
Racked and measured tonight.
I have some Wyeast 4632 I can pitch which will dry it out (unless I stop it of course)
Before I do, just wanted some feedback. Should I just let it go? I planned on the long game on this anyway.

Hey all.
First time I've had a stuck ferment. At least I think it's stuck.
SG: 1.076
10 weeks later 1.052
Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead
Degassed twice the first week with a degassing wand. Gave the carboy a good shaking from time to time as well.
Also added a bit of white lab wine nutrient when degassing and maybe a teaspoon of energizer.
No measurements until week ten.
Racked and measured tonight.
I have some Wyeast 4632 I can pitch which will dry it out (unless I stop it of course)
Before I do, just wanted some feedback. Should I just let it go? I planned on the long game on this anyway.

Something is wrong. What temperature? Is it a straight traditional mead, or is there other stuff in there?

Traditional Mead. It was hanging out mostly around 65-70 over the first few weeks, then 70-74 for the last few weeks. Basically room temperature.

I’d say, pitch more yeast.
Agreed. But just to make sure, you did use a hydrometer to measure the SG, not a refractometer, right?
If truly stuck at 1.052, then I would treat it to an active starter that I added extra nutrients to. Restarting a stalled fermentation can take some work.

If you have to resort to a specialized re-start yeast, then it may be a no-win scenario, because the re-start yeast probably won't have the flavor profile that you want for your mead. That might not be too noticeable if it's stuck at 1.012SG, but if it's stuck a 1.052SG.... The higher the SG that it's stuck at, the worse the flavor prognosis.

If you have to resort to a specialized re-start yeast, then it may be a no-win scenario, because the re-start yeast probably won't have the flavor profile that you want for your mead. That might not be too noticeable if it's stuck at 1.012SG, but if it's stuck a 1.052SG.... The higher the SG that it's stuck at, the worse the flavor prognosis.

Says who?
There are a number of yeasts recommended for restarting fermentation - some are neutral, some give esters. Doesn't mean your mead turns out sucky. 1.052 would be sucky.

Says who?
There are a number of yeasts recommended for restarting fermentation - some are neutral, some give esters. Doesn't mean your mead turns out sucky. 1.052 would be sucky.

OK, here's my QED "proof": if you're saying it doesn't matter, why not just always use a re-start yeast from the get-go? Maybe that way one would be more likely to avoid getting stuck in the first place.

OK, here's my QED "proof": if you're saying it doesn't matter, why not just always use a re-start yeast from the get-go? Maybe that way one would be more likely to avoid getting stuck in the first place.

From what I understand (the innernet doesn't lie), the early part of fermentation is where most of the flavor characteristics come from. Some wines are fermented with wild yeast for a few percent before pitching cultured yeast. They claim it adds complexity to the wine.

Besides, even if it did affect flavor wouldn't that be better than losing the entire batch?

I'd re-pitch like EC-1118 and add some diammonium phosphate at least. It'll end up dry with 1118 but I bet it starts working again. Let it finish then back-sweeten.

You might just try some diammonium phosphate and give it a day or two to see if it starts moving again. If it's a show mead I bet it's low nutrients.

All the Best,
D. White

Back