My first sour pellicle... what is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChemEng

Reaction score
This is a picture of my first flanders red sour at ~8 weeks and what I think is the beginning of a pellicle. I pitched Wyeast roeselare blend, but due to a bone head move (pitched the whole ounce of hoppes into the boiler instead of 0.5 oz) i ended up with about 16 ibu instead of 8 ibu.

It's still in the primary. I have only opened it to take this picture, but the blow off tube fell out of the starsan jar about 2 weeks ago when I was taking another carboy out of the fermentation chamber (I put it right back in).

I'm worried I stunted the Lacto. Does this look like a lacto pellicle or a pedio pellicle? I'm hoping that the lacto was able to take hold despite the high IBU.

I'm worried I stunted the Lacto. Does this look like a lacto pellicle or a pedio pellicle? I'm hoping that the lacto was able to take hold despite the high IBU.
roesalare's lacto isn't the hardiest to start with. those 16 ibus will likely slow it down further. time will tell!

i don't think you can visually ID what organism is responsible for the pellicle. given the roesalare, i'd suspect brett.

Thanks Sweetcell. I was hoping there was a "pellicle fingerprint" i could use to identify what is the currently active species. I guess i will just have to relax and let it ride.

The plan is to brew a batch every 3 months to fill the pipeline, then eventually i will start experimenting with blending batches. The "variability" in my brewing should make this an interesting process. I am stocking up on carboys.

Back