My first shot at a simple sake!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrk4295

Reaction score
Ok, as of right now I have my first batch in the fermenter, and some rice on the stove. I figured id post some pictures and just some description of the process I took. I spose that ill just write this so that each paragraph addresses each picture respectively.

First off is a shot of my rice i used. Just a basic sushi rice, picked up at the local(30miles away)asian market. They do not have yeast balls, but thankfully another homebrewtalk member (whos name escapes me at the moment) had an ebay listing for yeast balls. (GO BUY SOME HERE!..EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!)

Ol' Tommy Cooper wanted to hang out and watch........that rascal

I had roughly 3 cups uncooked rice(4 but some burned). I went with 2 rice balls, and crushed them up very fine with a mortar and pestle. Not too sure how that will affect things, but I'll be sure to let everyone know.

I couldnt quite take pictures with rice on my hands, so in the picture with the pizza pan, id done quite a bit since the previous picture. Basically what I did was sterilize the pizza pan (and all other equipment), and just dumped my rice out on it to cool. Once cooled I poured all of the finely crushed yeast out onto the cooled rice, and then proceeded to thoroughly mix it all together by hand(sterilized of course)

I bought the fermenter at hobby lobby for...i want to say it was....$8 dollars....maybe $12.......But once the rice and yeast was thoroughly mixed, I just put it in the fermenter and let it go.

Its been 3 days since I started this batch, and liquid is starting to form. Also a nice sweat yeasty smell coming from the lid. Ill keep updates on this batch and my new batch which ive added 1/2 a cup of coconut, and 3 tablespoons of vanilla to 3 cups of rice, before the boil. We'll see how it goes

I realize that ive left out alottttt of information so if you have a question about my process, ill be glad to oblige. Also, if you found this thread by happenstance, I would like to direct you HERE

Thanks for reading!
:ban:

DSCN1060.jpg

DSCN1062.jpg

DSCN1065.jpg

DSCN1069.jpg

DSCN1071.jpg

Also, I placed this under the Beginners Beer Brewing Forum because, to the best of my knowledge, Sake is closer to a rice beer rather than a wine.....not too certain though.

Thanks for the awesome eBay referral. That's awesome advertising for me... Glad to hear (and see) that things are started. Like I said in another post, this wine is great stuff!

By now, this batch should be brewed and consumed. Hopefully you're on your 2nd (or maybe 3rd) batch of this delicious and crazy simple homemade goodness!

We may never know. I can say that mine are great :) and 99% of them are strong, sweet and gone in a week or 2.

Back