my first sanitation boo boo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormraper

Reaction score
gahh!!! for 2 years I have not done ANYTHING that might lead to an infection. I'm METICULOUS when it comes to that. today while I'm bottling my swamp nut brown ale and siphoning it to the bottling bucket I have a clamp up near the edge of the bucket that keeps my racking cane from flopping around and dropping all the way to the bottom and picking up trub from the fermentor. as I'm JUST about done with the siphoning I pull off the clamp and lo and behold it slips out of my hand and into the brew bucket. I reached in and grabbed it but now I have a 50/50 chance of it infecting my brew since it wasn't sanitized :(... now for the nightmare of waiting 3 weeks + to see if I boned this one up

:smack: I had the same thing happen to me last month but the clamp slipped down the siphon and into the brew. A month later and it tastes good so far, so good luck. I hope your brew will be okay.

No worries. There is an awesome thread on here somewhere with hundreds of oops far worse that turned out at least drinkable beer. Like having your dog lap up wort before pitching, and having a hairbrush drop into the fermenter. RWDHB!

I think your chances at avoiding an infection are good - with the hops and the alcohol and the low pH, it is tough for things to get a hold this late in the process...still, might as well drink them up quick just to be safe!

Beer, being full of alcohol, having a low ph, co2 and hops, can be fairly resistant to infection. I once dropped a dishrag in the bottling bucket that I had been mopping the sweat of my brow with. The beer turned out great! either way, there is nothing you can do about it now. Try one in a few weeks, if its started to turn, get the rest in the fridge.

My first brew I couldn't get my siphon to work. It would go and stop. I had managed to move about a gallon into the bottling bucket when I finally gave up, gargled with Iodopher, and started the siphon with my mouth.

I sucked too long and was surprised when the flat beer hit my mouth. My first reaction was to spit it out. Right into the bottling bucket. Turned out awesome. I made sure I had an auto-siphon for the next batch though.

lol, yup, all the logic that I'm thinking is the same as all yours. .... low ph, only in a SPLIT second before I grabbed it out, being only in the last 2 inches being siphoned out yada yada yada... I'm just pissed at myself for making such a newbish mistake :(... especially since I pride myself on my meticulous sanitation. lol, here's to hoping I didn't infect anything :D. it tastes DAMN good going into the bottles and I'd hate to waste it :D

While making beer and cooking at the same time I once used my cook spoon to stir my cooling wort (it was some type of chicken/tomato dish). Turned out no problem.
In regards to bleme's comment. I start most of my siphons by mouth now. I brush my teeth and rinse real good with mouth wash then rub sanitizer over my lips. Is this wrong? Probably, but it's never been a problem. At least I know now I can spit that first mouthful into the bottling bucket and be good to go :)

vegas20s said:
... I start most of my siphons by mouth now. I brush my teeth and rinse real good with mouth wash then rub sanitizer over my lips. Is this wrong? Probably, but it's never been a problem.

I start my siphon by mouth as well...except I take a swig of scotch and swirl it around beforehand! Way better than mouthwash :)

Back