my first kegging experience; help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplehops

Reaction score
Ok all,
I have been brewing for a year now and love it all. I decided to purchase a 2.5 gallon keg. Awesome small set up. Bought the (small compact) regulator and co2 cartridges. Here is my issue:
I just transfered the ipa into the keg. When I tried to force carbinate it, i could hear it all going in etc....but the regulator never got passed 20 psi. I was trying for 30 psi.
Did i fill the keg with too much beer, hence leaving so little area for the co2 to get in? When I tried to shut it down by the gauge, beer came flying out.
What a humbling hobby. Just when I think I am getting a hang of craft beer, it hits my smack in the face. And I mean that :cross:
LB

I'm not quite sure what you mean by compact regulator, but here are a few general observations that may help:

• If your beer rises above the end of the gas-in tube, you'll have problems getting it to carb up
  • There is nothing wrong with carbing at 20 PSI. It will take longer than at 30, but it will still work. I usually carb at 10-12 and let the keg sit for a week before tapping.
  • The same PSI will yield different carbonation levels depending on the temperature of the beer. The colder the beer, the more CO2 will go into solution. There are various carbonation tables available on the net that will tell you what PSI at what temp leads to however many volumes of CO2.
  • If you want to see if your keg is holding pressure, depress the poppet on the gas-in tube or open the pressure relieve valve on the lid. Depressing the poppet on the beer-out post will lead to a faceful of beer!

Those small cartridges hold tiny amounts of co2. I wouldn't be surprised if the cartridge was empty after filling the headspace in the keg to 20lbs.

Is highly recommend a small tank. You could probably even rig up a paintball tank to the regulator you have.

That device is used strictly for dispensing beer, not for carbonating it. Even at that, you'll need 3 or more cartridges just to dispense a full keg of fully carbed beer...

Cheers!

I wonder what size and type threads are on that adapter. If you have a paintball shop near you take the regulator there and see if an air fill nipple for a paintball tank will thread in it. I am pretty sure they are 1/8th mpt threads. If it threads in you could probably get a small co2 tank for a paintball gun and a remote line to connect to that nipple.

+1 on CO2 cartridges being too small carbonate - they are indeed for dispensing only. Until you get a bigger CO2 tank, treat the keg like a big bottle - add priming solution (table sugar or dextrose) to the beer or krausen it.

^ thank you all!! I have a neighbor who is a home brewer (a serious one) and I might ask him to force carb it for me then upgrade.

Back