My first ever Home Brew! Cheers all!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonGavlar

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just popped open my first ever brew and it tastes great. I don’t know wether its just because I made it or wether it genuinely just tastes great but I’m very pleased.

Theres a few things that could definitely be improved like clarity, after taste etc but all in all im pleased with my first attempt.

This beer was just an extract, my others in the fermenters are now all grain. However, the recipe was as follows:

Organic light LME 6lbs
Crystal 40 8oz
Crystal 10 8oz
Columbus 1oz 60min
Cascade 1oz 15 min
Cascade 1oz 0min
US-05

The beer came out a lot darker than expected but still, the taste is there! There won’t be any issues getting through the rest of the 5 gallons of this stuff!

Cheers all :mug:

Pic doesn't seem to work, heres the link: http://tinypic.com/r/j9bm1f/9
j9bm1f.jpg

Last edited:
Extract will come out darker if you boil all of the extract for the entire boil.

Thank you all! And remos, how did you post the pic in the end? Just so i know for future reference?
Take tour photo in fullscreen and right click it, then choose copy image addres. Then in this forum write your post and click on the icon of the mountain with the sun above, then paste your image address there, either by right clicking paste or ctrl+v

Extract beers usually tend to be on darker side. There is several things you can do to lessen the darkness. ( add half of extract in beginning and last half with 15 min left, use dry malt instead of liquid malt, do full batch boil, etc)
For more detailed info just look up "extract beer too dark". A lot of brewers switch to all-grain to achieve the lighter color that is hard to achieve with extract brewing. Good Luck and welcome to the Addiction, uh I mean hobby!! Lol [emoji481]

Latest posts

Back