My First Disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakbarn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a barrel for the first time of one of my favorite brews, Raymond’s Best Bitter. We also brewed 10 gal of Pivo Doskocil. I ferment the ale in two Stout conicals, the Pivo in a freezer in Corny Kegs.

When I put my top on the 27 gal Stout Conical, my holding ban would not cinch down. I putzed with it a while but I thought the seal would have to do. The 14.5 conical did not have the same issue.
The Pivo was bubbling away just fine, but I noticed no activity on either of my Conicals.
I checked the FG. It was 1.011. Not too bad and just above normal in the conicals.

Well today was transfer day. I have to use 5 psi to move the beer from the 27 gal conical to my kegs. The first 3 went fine, even though I did not have a good seal. The last one would not transfer at all. I putzed with the lid ring again but could not get it to cinch. I took off the lid and found my silicone seal floating in the beer! I took it out, rinsed in star san and put the lid back on. Lo and behold, my band cinched down fine. Next time I will know that it impossible for steel to grow. I got the final 5 gals out.
The beer is not as good as my normal brew but I will condition for a few weeks and see. This has helped on other brews.

The other conical, while FG tested ok as well, the beer had a bad smell and very bad taste. I did not save it so 10 gallons down the drain.:mad::mad:

The Pivo is great as always.

I have had weak CO2, but never nothing.

I used Nottingham and Wyeast 1098. I just used the bloated smack pack and did not hydrate my dry yeast.
New resolve:
1. Always do at least one starter from Liquid yeast.
2. Always hydrate the Dry yeast. This should be done a sanitized vessel with boiled water cooled to 95-105F. Allow 1 cup for 2 packets.
3. If something does not seem normal, then it is ABNORMAL

Back