my first DIPA .."HOPLASH"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtibrews2

Reaction score
still toying with some things but this is my plain, its a big one...

Hoplash Double IPA

All Grain Recipe
Submitted By: gtibrews2 (Private) (Share)
Download | Delete Recipe | Bookmark

All Grain
Batch Size: 6.00 gal Style: Double IPA (22A)
Boil Size: 7.56 gal Style Guide: BJCP 2015
Color: 10.3 SRM
Bitterness: 103.5 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.087 (20.6° P) Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Est FG: 1.022 SG (5.5° P) Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 8.6% Taste Rating: 30.0

Ingredients:

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1
1 lbs Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 2
1 lbs Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4
1 lbs 8.00 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5
1.00 oz Chinook [13.0%] - Boil 60 min Hops 6
1.00 oz Chinook [13.0%] - Boil 20 min Hops 7
2.00 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 20 min Hops 8
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Boil 15 min Hops 9
4 lbs Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] (8.0 SRM) Grain 10
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 5 min Hops 11
3.00 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 0 min Hops 12
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 0 min Hops 13
2.00 oz Galaxy [14.0%] - Boil 0 min Hops 14
1 pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 15

Notes:
Whirlpool "flame out" Hop additions @170 FOR 15MINS.
Dry hop with 2oz Mosaic, 2oz of Galaxy, and 3oz of Chinook and 3oz of Citra. for 7 days in secondary.

I think 2.5 pounds of cara/carmel malt is too much, and I think it's way too much melanoidin malt. I'd consider cutting the cara/crystal malts in half (or less) and reducing or eliminating the melanoidin malt. Because the tendency will be a "thick" beer with all of that malt and extract, I'd even consider going the other way from body builders and using a pound or so of sugar (either table sugar or dextrose) to help keep the body from being too heavy.

I dislike S04 if it's fermented above about 64 degrees, so if it's going to be fermented warmer I'd pick a different yeast strain. At 62 degrees or so, it would be fine.

I like the hops at first glance!

Good call, I didn't realize it still said 1lb of the Cara. should only be 8oz...
I like S-04, I chamber it at 63 degrees on the dot..and love its qualities.
I don't want to use sugar, I'm trying to achieve a thick-ish mouth-feel, pillow-y.
will ditch a half a pound of the melanoidin malt if you think its too much.

I would drop all the crystal and the melanoidin. I don't see the point of melanoidin and munich together, normally melanoidin is a replacement for when you can't get enough melanodins from munich. Stick with around 10% munich, you could use even as much as 20% bit since its a big beer I would stick on the side of caution

If you want extra mouthfeel, use a small % Flaked barley around 1.5-3%, if you don't mind the flavour/aroma use more about 5%. Some flaked wheat would work well with those hops too.

I would also not use chinook to bitter. Magnum, Warrior, horizon, Northern brewer would be my choices.

20 min and 5 min additions are pointless imo. I typically do 15 or 10min, hop stand, dry hop. I not even sure the kettle addition does anything different/better than simply a big stand.

Also I would suggest a good dry malt extract (extra light) as opposed to liquid as LME is generally darker and you want to avoid that in a IIPA.

why not Chinook...just wondering.....I really like Crystal malt-y ness in my IPA's....I heard using Munich and Melanoidian as a one-two punch can give you a big malty back bone. I know they are the same but yet they are different.

Chinook can give a strong resinous bitterness that some describe as hash. I low IBU beers it isn't noticeable but I would suspect it becomes more evident in big beers.

If you like a more malt forward IPA then I would suggest a good English caramel malt, use a small quantity of a medium color, 20L-40L.

Munich is a base malt, though Melanoidin is also (technically) its much more like a character malt. Its also less sweet and more toasty/nutty than Munich. My philosophy with IPA's is a pale base malt, then a small amount of character malt.

Too malty and the hops won't shine and your'll end up with a american barelywine.

Latest posts

Back