My first cider, question on secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medicbrewer16675

Reaction score
Hi there all
This is my first time brewing anything and went with a cider, so sorry if I don't have all my terms correct. I started off with my primary with 5 gallons for about 10 days and then racked to my secondary (in which I have 5 1 gallon jugs to try different flavours) when siphoning it over to my secondary containers (I used a siphon with a filter) I was trying to be careful not to put any of the left over yeast into the new bottles, however after a few days I've noticed that the bottom of all my jugs have a layer of something at the bottom and a very fine layer of something at the top as well. My airlocks haven't been bubbling. Is this normal, or should I try to put them in new containers before I get off-putting tastes?

Thanks!!

I've never siphoned with a filter before... my guess is that some of the yeast snuck through and is still going to town, but I guess it depends on what kind of filter you are using.

The Yeast will survive!
Yes that is most likely a new yeast cake forming. If you are trying to avoid any future fermentation then racking isn't the way to go. The yeast will continue as long as there is sugar or not at the ABV limit. Yeast are like sperm, any chance they get to procreate they will, even if you aren't wanting it.

Back