My first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drhusker18

Reaction score
Glad to have that monkey off my chest.

First- the day started off great as our three kids (one who is teething) slept in till 830am!! Awwyeah. Then it got worse- some stomach bug hit our oldest and then the 3 year old woke up from her nap and got it spiking around 103F. I could have pooled my kids and boiled my wort!! Haha

I decided around 10 am that I would give it a shot. Have 3 extract kits from NB. I decided on a Hefeweizen based on the great comments from certain posters. So I smacked the yeast and let it rise. Got my gear down and wiped clean and organized. Took me a while to get started as my wife had a few errands and we were dealing with the sickos. Around 1pm I got my pot and flame going to clean since it is borrowed turkey frier from my dad. Boiled water to clean the pot but I realized the gas was flirting with empty- sorta. Plus it gave me a chance to check my wort chiller for leaks. Finally at 4pm I got the 5 gallons (new) started heating and following the directions. Things went smooth but I was worried about the gas still. I put the afterburners to it and torched the water to a boil and then added according to the recipe and general practices. It was a delayed extract type. Went well and after boil was reached the gas could be turned down to maintain. Things progressed well. I now know what it means to add DME fast- or the result if you don't! Added an extra hop addition of Galaxy at 0.5 oz @10' and 0.5oz @5'. Got thing sanitized or started the dilutions. Then cooling started and went very well and quick about 15-20min with my chiller. Great purchase. But I need longer tubes in it- quick fix this week.

Since I was using the liquid hefe yeast I was going to aerate between my primary and a sanitized bucket. Well......not sure if I over did it but man, foam foam FOAM. It filled the top of my primary bucket. So I was in freakout mode. I had to use my paddle (resanitized) to scrape out and see my liquid level. Once I had that I took an OG. Said 1.052 or 1.054. Couldn't get a good read with some bubbles in the tube. Then I noticed it was high for the kit- then noticed i forgot to correct boil off. Added the remainder and remeasured the OG and came to 1.050 at 69F. The kit said to achieve 1.049- so I guess that is close.

As a few have pointed out my wort seemed dark and I hope it lightens up. About as low as I can get is 68 for fermentation. Clean up went well and easier than I thought. Will keep a tube just in case for blow off.

About the only other thing is to find time for my next two. Caribou slobber and grapefruit pulpin. After that I will be exploring more options! Either all grain or more flavorful brews. The reason I added the galaxy was to impart some tropical and fruit flavors. I was going to add citra but saving that for my Ale Asylum Bedlam clone.

One thing I do know is that my wife won't let me do this inside- man it stinks a joint up.

Very excited to be taking up this hobby- should be a lot of fun and able to have some friends join in and meet some new folks. Sorry for the long post but I feel the first one is warranted.

Feel free to comment!

My hope is just a short extract learning session and giving it a shot. My worries at the moment are efficiency of grain to hit my margin. So I will be reading up more on that.

I need to get my techniques and space more organized so it goes smoother but that just comes with time and brew sessions.

Welcome to the forum Dr.

Don't worry about efficiency. I used to do that and it seems so pointless now. Been years since I even calculated it.

Hefe is a great first beer. An extract hefe (not sure if you used extract) only requires one extract malt (wheat), one yeast, and one hop. Did you use Wyeast 3068? I think that's a can't miss hefe yeast. That yeast gets busy will create a great beer at 68.

NB Bavarian hefe kit. It comes with 6lb lme wheat and 1lb dme wheat. Did a full boil in 30qt pot and worked great. The recipe is 1/2 liquid malt for 45 min then add remaining lme and the full for remaining 15. Yes- Used the hefe yeast.

While I didn't do it- has anyone accidentally dumped the nutrient pack from the smack pack into fermenter?

NB Bavarian Hefe was my first "official" brew as well. Haven't looked back since and recently switched to all-grain. The hefe was a hit with my wife and friends and needless to say it didn't last very long! Don't sweat the higher OG. Mine was 1.054 and it turned out great. Enjoy the process and hope those kids get better! Welcome to the club.

Welcome to the forum Dr.

Don't worry about efficiency. I used to do that and it seems so pointless now. Been years since I even calculated it.

Hefe is a great first beer. An extract hefe (not sure if you used extract) only requires one extract malt (wheat), one yeast, and one hop. Did you use Wyeast 3068? I think that's a can't miss hefe yeast. That yeast gets busy will create a great beer at 68.

Hey passedpawn. Noticed Clearwater on your account. We frequent pass-a-grille every now and then.

Hey passedpawn. Noticed Clearwater on your account. We frequent pass-a-grille every now and then.

Wife and I get down there occassionally. We like to take the family to the Tradewinds resort for a few days over the 4th of July, just north of there. We used to go to a Pass-a-Grille restaurant called Hurricanes, but not sure if it's still there. John's pass north of there is a fun place to hang out.

Back