My first brew progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAAAA

Reaction score
So I brewed for the first time last saturday. Opened up the bucket today to dry hop and saw this...

Looks to me like it fermented pretty nicely so far. I can't wait to try this stuff! :rockin:

imag0001ta.jpg

Also found out my fermenting setup sits right around 68-70 degrees without any bottles of ice in it so it makes life even easier on me heh.

That's a krausen ring. Congratulations on your first brew. Now stop opening the thing and let it rest for three weeks, you damned n00b!!!!1!!!!11!!11one!;)

That's a krausen ring. Congratulations on your first brew. Now stop opening the thing and let it rest for three weeks, you damned n00b!!!!1!!!!11!!11one!;)

First time I have opened it to throw in the hops. :mug:

Gonna just let it sit in there for one more week and then bottle.

First time I have opened it to throw in the hops. :mug:

Gonna just let it sit in there for one more week and then bottle.

2 weeks? leave it a bit longer to let the yeast clean up after itself. most people swear on 3 weeks. dont rush it your tastebuds will thank you. also if you dont have another fermenter available keep yourself busy chattin on here and planning your next brew. if you can get another make another brew so you can leave this one alone. i know patience is hard i got the same problem i like to peek in on mine too.

2 weeks? leave it a bit longer to let the yeast clean up after itself. most people swear on 3 weeks. dont rush it your tastebuds will thank you. also if you dont have another fermenter available keep yourself busy chattin on here and planning your next brew. if you can get another make another brew so you can leave this one alone. i know patience is hard i got the same problem i like to peek in on mine too.

I was just following the directions for this recipe and it said two weeks. Maybe I can throw it in a secondary but I think I might just let it go two weeks in the primary and then bottle it for 2-3 weeks.

I am not peeking into it so the patience thing isn't an issue but I definitely am getting ready to brew my next beer. :D

I'm just starting out myself, but what I gathered from these wise beer sages is that even if the directions say two weeks, leave it in longer. The longer it is in the bucket the cleanup cycle is a bit better. On my first batch I am doing now doing 3 in the primary, bottling and waiting at least 3...just my newbish two cents.

So yeah, in short, ignore the paper., waiting longer wont hurt and wont improve. That's all I got.

Ya I get that. I would throw it in a secondary but I think I will just leave it in the primary for a while longer.

Leave it in the primary on the yeast cake, I wouldn't move it. Another ferm bucket will run you $15, a carboy to ferm in $35 or less. Buy another, and make another batch in that. I wouldn't rack to secondary in under 3-4 weeks ever. A month is a great start point, and is what I try to keep it at.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this stuff about aging your beer is just
a lot of hooey. You are just as likely to have oxidation issues as any improvement
in the flavor, and *all* the flavors in beer lose their intensity with time. Budweiser
is a clean tasting beer, and for them it's grain to glass in 28 days. Many cask-conditioned ales in Britain are served 10 days to 2 weeks after pitching.

I would have added the dry hops after 4 days, then bottled it one week later,
drink it 5-7 days after that, depending on the temp you store the bottles at.

Ray

I doubt that oxidation is a problem if it's kept in the same fermenter the entire time. CO2 builds up in the head space, displacing any oxygen, nitrogen, and other trace gasses. Transferring to secondary could introduce oxygen, but it's not too much of an issue if done correctly.

Back