My First Brew - NB Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBug

Reaction score
Just finished up my first brew. So far things seemed to work out great. Starting OG was listed as 1.040 and mine came out at 1.044. I am happy with the results. Color looks a bit darker than expected but I anticipate that to mellow out in the fermenter. I did a full boil. Started out with 7.5 in the kettle and ended with about 5.25 in the primary after adding 1qt. starter. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

This is definitely an addicting hobby!!!:D

Cream Ale.jpg

Keep us posted for sure, that kit is on my list. I'm curious about the color - it looks a little darker than it should be, even for a carboy picture.

Checked out the primary today and it is very active. It appears the color is also lightening up. I hate the waiting.

I am currently drinking my NB Cream Ale. Mine came out on the dark side and a little hoppy for a cream ale.

All of my extract was added at the start of the boil.

The extract has been boiled for you already I think that it is just carmelizing and getting darker

Search Late Extract Additions

I have been messing with my process and am adding 1/2 at 30min and the rest @ the 20 min mark

I am no pro, but I think with the late additions I am ending up with a cleaner tasting beer :rockin:

Brew On !!!

Cheers

I'm interested in how your beer turns out. I'm getting ready to order my kit as well. Maybe tomorrow. I'm thinking of tweaking this kit. I want to increase the honey malt for more honey flavor per a suggestion in another thread and I plan on adding 1lb of flaked corn to help the creaminess. I was surprised the kit doesn't inlcude that... I'll probably do a late hop addition for a little extra aroma. With this time of year and the cool fermenting temps, I'm anticipating a very clean and crisp beer!

What yeast did you use?

I have an AHS cream ale on tap now. I did about a third of the LME at the start of the boil and the rest with 15 minutes to go. This really gave it a smooth taste and a lighter appearance. I also did 3 weeks in the primary straight to keg. Definately helped from my first batch. Which was a BB cream ale

I used Wyeast 1056 American Ale Smack Pack and did a starter for the yeast.

As for the late LME additions, I had contemplated doing that but since this is my first brew, I thought I would start out as directed (other than me doing a full volume boil) before tweaking.

I used Wyeast 1056 American Ale Smack Pack and did a starter for the yeast.

As for the late LME additions, I had contemplated doing that but since this is my first brew, I thought I would start out as directed (other than me doing a full volume boil) before tweaking.

Its all Good Brother :rockin:

I too am looking forward to a cream ale this early spring ....

I bottled my beer today. Everything seemed to go well. Taste is good but it is hard to judge by drinking a beer without carbonation. Strange and new to me. FG was 1.010 and was exactly what BeerSmith estimated for my recipe. I am excited to be able to drink the first brew...I can't stand waiting.

I always do a late 15 add of DME/LME w/brewing software. When doing a light beer it makes a big difference. It's allready beer, it just needs to be sanitized. Beersmith has a late DME/LME add option now.

I finally was able to brew the NB Cream Ale yesterday.

I split up the LME addition. I did half at the beginning and the other half at 15 minutes. I did an addition of Saaz hops at 10 minutes along with my standard irish moss and yeast nutrient.

Those tweaks were in addition to the 1 lb of flaked corn and about .75 lbs of additional honey malt. I used US-05 yeast. I may have been my additional grain, but despite my late addition LME, it still turned out darker than expected...

It may end up being a little too starchy, but I wanted more mouthfeel than the traditional cream ale. I'll try and come back and let you know how it turns out. I don't plan on doing a seconday, but I will be kegging and force carbing. I anticipate about two weeks in primary, but I'll let the gravity dictate that. I may even dry-hop with whole leaf cluster in the keg. I haven't decided that yet.

My first brew is complete and I tried the first bottle tonight. Looks darker than anticipated but it tastes great. Not very good head retention. Most important part is SWMBO likes it and I got the go ahead for brew number 2 :ban:. Now its time to make the decision on what to do next.

Finished Cream Ale 2.jpg

Well... just poured a second bottle in a nucleated glass and the head is much better. I am impressed for my first brew.

Finished Cream Ale Head 2.jpg

Looks tasty !!; Congrates!

If you want it lighter next time, try using DME ilo LME. The LME can darken w/age compared to the DME.. For really light beers, try using the Pilsen DME (or Extra Light) along w/whatever specialty grains you desire.

Back