my first brew is in the keg :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9am53

Reaction score
So I made my frist brew on easter weekend, and now mearly 2 months later I finally have it in the keg. I was going to crash cool it and then keg, but my carboy won't fit in the fridge, so I just racked and put the keg in there to cool. I am just playing around with trying to balance the carbonation and serving pressures right now. I ahve learned a valuable lesson; don't add hops willy nilly to a pre-hopped kit! I thought I would add an oz of fuggles to the "canadian blonde" kit to add some flavour, but didn't realize that dry hopping for over a month would give so much flavour! the beer is overpowered by hops now! hopefully it mellows out in the keg!

For future reference, keep your dry hops in for 1-2 weeks tops. Most say no more than 10 days. I'm sure it'll mellow some though.

I didn't intend for the hops to stay in there so long, but the SG would just not drop so I kept it in there. It's my first brew, so I am just happy it's drinkable, and am happy I learned so much.

ok, so the CO2 seems to be perfect at 15 psi, and the yeast haze is slowly disappearing. AND the best part is that the hops are mellowing too :) The beer is actually quite good now! What a difference a couple days have made! Even the wife likes it, I thought she would hate it, but she snuck a pint and finished it and said she liked it!

ahh, life is good :)

Thanks guys, I am now officially hooked, if my first ever homebrew with all the available newby mistakes tastes this decent then there is hope to make a truly good beer in my near future :mug:

Congrats. Just kegged my first 10 days ago and I love it.

I started April 7th and have done 8 5gal batches. I have a problem

wow, I've only done 3...I don't feel so bad anymore :)

I have a couple extract kits in the mail (courier) at the moment to up that number soon though :ban:

Latest posts

Back