My first bottle bomb!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mabus

Reaction score
I have two bottle cappers. When capping the last batch, the caps seemed fine. Most of the bottles were carbonated nice at first and few were flat. Upon closer inspection, some of the caps didn't seem "closed" all the way. Pulled out the red capper and tried to see if I could tighten 'em down. It didn't seem to make much difference.

When I used the black one, the cap was noticeably more closed. So I used the black to "tighten down" the remaining bottles and gave them a little swirl to hopefully rouse the yeast up a little and get some carbonation out of them. With about 4-5 left, I think one was more than adequately carbed as it pretty much blew up! Thank goodness none of the flying glass injured me or anyone else.

After regrouping, I tried another one and it took the cap and the glass under the cap almost clean off! I left the 3-4 ones remaining as-is. If they're flat I'll use them to marinade chicken or something.

Somehow, I feel like I crossed a "rite of passage" or something. Anyway, that is my tale, sad but true. :fro:

Consider getting a bench capper. Better, safer, easier.

Don’t forget your safety goggles. Seriously, wear something.

And if you decide to stick with your current capper, you may want to look at replacing the bell. Those do eventually wear out and won't crimp the caps as well.

Did it blow up when you while you were recapping?

Weird I enjoy the Red Baron WAYY more than the Black Beauty, and heard more of these stories from the black (cheaper) one.

Yes actual names lol

And if you decide to stick with your current capper, you may want to look at replacing the bell. Those do eventually wear out and won't crimp the caps as well.

Any idea what the life is on these? 1k bottles?

Check the bell on the Red Baron capper. They are screwed on and if they get partially unscrewed they may not seal the cap properly.

I don't know the lifespan of the capper or the bell but I've capped over 1000 bottles with my Red Baron and it shows no signs of wearing out.

Any idea what the life is on these? 1k bottles?

Sorry, I don't have a number. I just know some people with cappers that eventually wore out so I was tossing that out as an option. But I don't know how many bottles they did. I think it's more of a YMMV kind of thing than a hard number.

Thanks for the replies/suggestions. The one that blew up did so when I crimped down on the cap. Weirdest thing I've seen. I have only about ~100 total on both (I try to use the Grolsch bottles when I can). I will check to make sure everything is tight on them.

Back