My first BIAB attempt (please advise)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edbert

Reaction score
So brew day was two weeks ago, first time ever doing full grain and I did a BIAB method. Right before pitching (75 degrees) I was really stoked to see the refractometer show that my SG was 1.050, the target was 1.051.

Recipe is a"Blonde Rye" From AHS if it matters, yeast used was White Labs "Dry English Ale 007".

When the 1st week passed I did not measure, I could tell this batch did not have the rigorous fermentation that my high gravity ales usually do, I decided to just leave it alone and check next week. That was today.

I pulled the lid back to get a sample, refractometer today shows 1.027, recipe says it should have been at 1.014 by last week before moving to secondary. So obviously I've got some sleepy yeasties, and now I am wishing I had taken a reading last week, for all I know it was at 1.028 last Saturday.

Bottom line...what should I do?
I figure if I call Austin Home Brew they'll say to buy another yeast pack and add it in.
Should I agitate the entire bucket?
Should I just chill and let it go until it hits 1.014 or at least falls below 1.020?

When you use a refractometer to test beer that has started or finished fermenting, the number your refractomer reports back isn't the true sugar content of the beer, because the alcohol content changes the refraction properties of the liquid.

Luckily for us, there are calculators available that can tell us what the true sugar content of the beer is. I like this one:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/

In your case your fermented beer is reading 1.027, which is 6.8 brix. Plugging that into the calculator, your actual gravity is 1.014, give or take a little depending on the wort correction factor of your refractometer :mug:

I saw the calculator @ Northern and did not understand the conversion from gravity to brix. Just looked at the one you posted and will need to do more reading to get the whole picture.

Thank you so much for the conversion, I am right on the mark!

Back