My first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrforsberg

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch and finally had a chance to drink it this weekend.

This batch I did with a few friends in my garage. I did do a few mistakes with this batch:

- Poured my wort into my carboy then added tap water
- Had a blow out on day 3 of fermentation

This is was a standard IPA from MoreBeer.com.

Overall, the look and smell of the beer is very nice IMO, the beer has a good hoppy start, but no finish. There is not a good way to say how the beer ends, it just kind of lingers. :mad:

-11_zps1e77b8c6.jpg

But hey... You made beer! High five bro! Keep at it. Try new things. In time you'll know what you want and how to get there with your own recipes. Just takes patience

Congrats and welcome

This batch I did with a few friends in my garage. I did do a few mistakes with this batch:

- Poured my wort into my carboy then added tap water
I don't see how that is a mistake.
This is was a standard IPA from MoreBeer.com.

Overall, the look and smell of the beer is very nice IMO, the beer has a good hoppy start, but no finish. There is not a good way to say how the beer ends, it just kind of lingers. :mad:

You are allowed to blame that on the Mr. Beer ingredients rather than anything you did, and 90% of this forum will back you up.

You made beer! Congrats! Good job! And here's to your next batch :mug:

I wouldn't say "blame" is the right word. He made beer and he likes it! If anything, I say mr beer gets credit for introducing him (I'm actually very sorry, op, as I don't know your actual gender. Saying he is rather presumptuous if not sexist, but for the sake of not saying "he/she" every time I assigned you male for the sake of this post... And my sanity) to home brewing. As for complexity, I can't imagine you'd get the same freshness and flavor options from mr beer that you'd get from going extract, partial, or all grain. Don't matter! Beer is beer! Now there's so much exploring to do! And, op, explore browse and ask away. Everyone is super helpful and encouraging. Bailed me out of a number of jams for sure. Seriously, get excited. You're about to start looking at every beer you drink in a whoooole new way

Morebeer has good stuff. If your looking for a hop bite at the end, up the first 60min addition from 1oz to 2oz. It will be nice and bitter. Make sure to save some of this batch because it will change in the next few weeks; it happens all the time, last few beers are the best of the lot. Now get started on the next batch.

Thanks for the input!

I used regular tap water instead of the recommended distilled water. No sure if that would of made a difference.

Expecting to find perfection the first time is silly. As long as beer was the result, you did just fine. Be proud of your first batch but also keep brewing to help your technique. If you can, brew a full boil to help the hop utilization. That, moving to all grain, and temperature control have significantly improved the quality of my brews. Buy more fermentors because the brewing bug is going to bite and bite hard! Cheers!

Just to clarify:

MoreBeer or Mr. Beer?????

Big difference IMO; but either way I am not sure if the blame would fall on either unless the age/condition of ingredients could be called into question,

Thanks for the input!

I used regular tap water instead of the recommended distilled water. No sure if that would of made a difference.

extract already has minerals added in production, so by not using distilled water (no minerals), you might have overdone it. depending on your local water

another VA brewer! just down Rt 15 from me! welcome to the obsession!

I had the same problem on my first batch. But mine was a total disaster. Really my first batch f.... sucked. But now I have a keggle set up and make 10gl batches. I've made great and not so great beers. I've asked a 100 questions on this forum and get great advice. Mine is to just keep at it and learn from all your mistakes because they WILL happen. But most importantly have fun with it and you'll end up with some great beers. Cheers.

extract already has minerals added in production, so by not using distilled water (no minerals), you might have overdone it. depending on your local water

another VA brewer! just down Rt 15 from me! welcome to the obsession!

Yep, live right off Rt. 15 :mug:

Had a great time with this batch. Looking forward to Batch 2, 3, 4 etc!

Back