My first badly stuck batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenners

Reaction score
I've hit my first badly stuck batch - "robust porter" with a mash temp of ~156F. Starting gravity was 1.07. 10 days later, it's at 1.04. After 14 days, same gravity.

I think my big problem was Austin Tx getting a cold snap that I've never had to deal with before with while fermenting - I suspect my office, where I keep my fermenters, just got a little too cold for the yeast. Normally it's the other way around we have to deal with in Texas ;)

I've pitched some more back-up yeast (S-05), wrapped the fermenter in a blanket, rocked it a little, but after a few days, the gravity is /still/ bang on 1.04.

So it's done, right? Should I just go ahead & keg it & mark it up as a failure? I had big plans for this batch, like putting some on fruit & the rest on oak/whiskey... Gah.

Swirl the fermenter a bit to bring more yeast up and then warm the beer to 72 to 75 to encourage the yeast. Sometimes they like it warmer.

Swirl the fermenter a bit to bring more yeast up and then warm the beer to 72 to 75 to encourage the yeast. Sometimes they like it warmer.

That's going to be tough to do temp wise - normally no need for a brew belt etc in Texas ;)

What was the grain bill? Could mash have been on the high side of 156F?
Did you rehydrate at initial or secondary yeast pitch??

Here's the grain bill, inspired by Weasel Geek Rodeo by Jester King. Initial yeast was Mangrove Jack M03, rehydrated - first time using this new brand of yeast. Second yeast was a back-up Safale S05, not rehydrated. Happy to hydrate & add another yeast pack if people think it'll help ;)

60 minute mash at 156F, dropped to 154F over the hour (I do BIAB). Strong 60 minute boil, with the extract added late.

Code:
Estimated OG: 1.073 SG
Estimated Color: 57.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 59.5 IBUs
Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
2 lbs                 Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)         Grain         1        15.0 %        
1 lbs 12.0 oz         Caramel/Crystal Malt -150L (150.0 SRM)   Grain         2        13.1 %        
1 lbs 12.0 oz         Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                   Grain         3        13.1 %        
1 lbs                 Brown Malt (65.0 SRM)                    Grain         4        7.5 %         
1 lbs                 Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)               Grain         5        7.5 %         
1 lbs                 Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)               Grain         6        7.5 %         
8.0 oz                Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM)                    Grain         7        3.7 %         
6.0 oz                Pale Chocolate Malt (200.0 SRM)          Grain         8        2.8 %         
1.25 oz               Millenium [14.25 %] - Boil 60.0 min      Hop           9        53.6 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min            Hop           10       6.0 IBUs      
4 lbs                 Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 10 min](8. Extract       11       29.9 %        
1.50 oz               Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min          Hop           12       0.0 IBUs      
1.00 oz               Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 Hop           13       0.0 IBUs

For now, I'll give it a rock every couple of hours today, and it's wrapped in a blanket to keep the temp up. TX temps should be good for a few days & then another cold front moves in dropping our night time temps to freezing.

If you have a heating pad, they work great to get/keep fermenters warm. That is what I use with a STC-1000 controller. I use buckets and know of a few brewers using them for carboy heaters. I don't know if this will be a solution for you or not.

Picked up the last brewbelt in stock at AHS ;) Okay to use it with a temperature controller then? Dial it at say 70 degrees?

Down to 1.028 now (from 1.040), though the temperature of the sample was /far/ too high at 75F, so who knows how this is going to turn out. Still, the gravity is dropping.

Of course, with perfect timing, Austin's going to get a freezing cold front moving through tomorrow.

Back