My first bad batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
I have done about 15 batches so far. Tonight I opened a bottle from my latest batch. It is a coconut porter. After three weeks in the bottle, it tastes like ass. :mad: The only good news is that it had great carbonation and head for three weeks old.

I will let them sit for a few more weeks. Hopefully it gets better.

Coconut porter? Now I'm curious. I've made honey porter but not coconut and typically let it sit in the bottle for about seven weeks before I even bother tasting it. Will be good to know how yours turns out.

Seven weeks. That means there is still hope for mine.

Tried another one. It went from "pour it down the drain" to "almost drinkable". Maybe it will get good enough to drink.

You gotta be patient with some of these batches. I have a lager that is going on 9 weeks in the bottle and it still has a bad acetaldehyde taste with little to no carbonation. I also have an English IPA that is going on 10 weeks and it still isn't completely carbed. It does taste great though. I cold crashed that one way too long and it is just taking it's time with so little yeast in suspension.

If you just leave that batch alone and forget about it for awhile, you may be pleasantly surprised in a few months.

Back