My first All Grain is tasty...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oojuxeoo

Reaction score
Just tasted my first AG batch. I made an English Pale Ale. I call it Bitter Holiday. I am very happy with the results.:rockin: The only gripe I have would be my low efficiency, which I already am pretty sure I know how to increase. I am also tired of bottling too.... maybe after the holidays I can get the kegging going with a kegerator. ;)

What was your efficiency? Unless it was crazy low, don't sweat it. You just need to do a few brews and find a consistent efficiency and base your ingredients around it. You nailed the taste, and that's the starting point.

Oh, and congrats!!! :D

Congrats on your first AG brew, I'm making the leap over the holidays.

Cheers...:mug:

I came in around 63%, but I know my temps were off a bit, and I should have stirred my mash a little more when sparging. My manifold needed a little work too. Next batch should be much better.

yeah, don't sweat it. i started at 61% with my first. you learn how to tweak it with practice and practice only based on your set up. after three batches i was up around 80% consistently. already sounds like you know where your prlblem spots are.

also, don't stir the mash when sparging, you don't want to disturb your grains at all when rinsing or you'll end up with a stuck mash.

I'm down to my second-to-last sixer from my first AG batch and I'm bummed. I too had efficiency problems due to temperature issues. Mine was due to not getting sparge water hot enough. Still, it's darn tasty and it gets better with each bottle. I finally figured out a good procedure on the 3rd batch (in the primary) and I can't wait to see how it tastes!

Back